Adding a folder to File Dialog boxes

Les

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to tweak Windows to add a folder to
the left side of the File Save/Open etc dialog boxes? Normally Windows
XP lists predefined locations, such as "My Recent Documents", "Desktop",
"My Documents", "My Computer", etc, etc. Is it possible to add my own?

Thanks,

Les

Carrie Garth

| "Les" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | Hello, Can anyone tell me if it's possible to tweak Windows to
| add a folder to the left side of the File Save/Open etc dialog
| boxes? Normally Windows XP lists predefined locations, such
| as "My Recent Documents", "Desktop", "My Documents",
| "My Computer", etc, etc. Is it possible to add my own?
| Thanks, Les

Yes, you can customize the Places Bar. That is the vertical button
bar at the left-hand side in the Open and Save [As] dialog boxes.
The following explains how to change the buttons to more frequently
used folders:

For customizing the Places Bar for the Microsoft Windows XP
common dialog box that is used with Notepad, WordPad, Internet
Explorer, etc., see:

Windows & .NET Magazine
August 2001 | Dino Esposito | Scripting Solutions | Instant Doc #21539
Customize the Places Bar
http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=21539

For customizing the My Places Bar for Microsoft Office see the
following Microsoft Knowledge Base article [depending on
version of Office]:

KB205041 - OFF2000: How to Customize the Places Bar
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=205041

KB282087 - HOW TO: Customize the My Places Bar in the "Open"
and "Save As" Dialog Boxes [Office XP]
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=282087

KB826214 - How To: Customize the My Places Bar in Both the
Open and the Save As Dialog Boxes in Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=826214