acf_where

Cousin Stanley

| Ron May (mostly a lurker)
| Bedford, Texas USA
| 32.8557805 N / 97.117821 W

Cousin Ron ....

I was born and raised in Trenton, Texas ( Fannin County )
a small town of only about 600 people and about 90 miles
north-east of where you are ....

One guy I knew named John Williams moved from Trenton
to Bedford and raised his family and ran a small
metal-work/maching company there in Bedford for many years ....

El Gee

A location-sorted view from the Irfanview Question Sub-Thread
Where Y'all Is ....

Australia, Melbourne Mike Echo
Australia, Melbourne derek / nul
Australia, New South Wales Aussie Bomber
Brazil, Canoas, Rio Grande do Sul Chaos Master
Canada Paul Johnson
Canada, New Brunswick Drummy
Canada, Ontario SW Rose Weir
Canada, Saskatchewan GoodTime Barnie
Canada, Toronto xtort
France, Paris Antoine
Italy Beppe
Italy MLC
Japan, Kisarazu City GR
Minnesota, Minneapolis Dan Goodman
Netherlands Onno Voors
Netherlands, Eindhoven Rod
New Zealand, Wellington Nicolaas Hawkins
Russia alex
Scotland Alastair Smeaton
Scottish Highlands Semolina Pilchard
Sweden, North Roger Johansson
UK zoo
UK, Bolton D.G.
UK, Forest of Dean Roger Hunt
UK, Hampshire Harvey Van Sickle
UK, Hertfordshire Dan Glybitz
UK, Selsey, West Sussex Pete Lawrence
UK, West Wales, Cardigan Bay Colin
UK, West Wales, Essex jo
US Global Warming
US, Alabama, Rogersville Vic Dura
US, Arizona, Phoenix Cousin Stanley
US, California, Northern omega
US, California, Silicon Valley BarryTone
US, Illinois, River Grove SYSYPHUS' SISTER
US, Louisiana, NW FadedGlory
US, Louisiana, New Orleans Q
US, Michigan Old Hippy
US, Michigan, Detroit Omar
US, Michigan, Grand Rapids Susan Bugher
US, Missouri burnr
US, New Jersey, Lawrenceville S.Hicks
US, North Carolina, Albermarle ncSkeet
US, Ohio David P. Cox
US, Ohio, Beavercreek Ray
US, Tennessee, Chattanooga Duddits
US, Texas, Austin Jan
US, Texas, Brackettville seabat
US, Texas, Nacogdoches REM
US, Virginia, Ladysmith Richard
US, Washington, Northwest cathair

US, Texas, Dallas El Gee

El Gee

Did you hear the one about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac?
He would stay up late every night and wonder if there was a dog.

Remove yourhat to reply ... but it may take a while.
Best to go to www.mistergeek.com and reply from there.

Cousin Stanley

| Not sure where that would be.
|
| I think there's a US Navy Base in Aberdeenshire
| and there used to be one in Caithness, but it's closed now.

Cousin Semolina ....

Aberdeenshire seems to jog the proverbial memory bell,
but I'm not 100% shure ....

diesel_fuel

Norton AntiVirus 2005 costs $49.95 in the US so probably about
3hrs to 4hrs work for the average worker in the US.
How many hours of work for an average paid Brazilian worker would it
take to buy that software in your country

Cousin Stanley is, and always will be:
Cousin Chaos Master ....

Looks like some local Brazillian recruiting
might be in order ....

Spread the word ....

Most Brazilians seem to prefer pirated software than freeware. :(

[]s

Ron May

Message-ID said:
| Ron May (mostly a lurker)
| Bedford, Texas USA
| 32.8557805 N / 97.117821 W

Cousin Ron ....

I was born and raised in Trenton, Texas ( Fannin County )
a small town of only about 600 people and about 90 miles
north-east of where you are ....

One guy I knew named John Williams moved from Trenton
to Bedford and raised his family and ran a small
metal-work/maching company there in Bedford for many years ....

Sorry to say I don't know John Williams, although I've lived in
Bedford since 1977. I do know Fannin County. Trenton's about 20
miles SW of Bonham, and my Daughter used to live on an acreage in
Honey Grove, about 20 miles E of Bonham. She still owns the land but
lives in McKinney now.

Ron M.

Chaos Master

diesel_fuel lies inside himself for hours:
Norton AntiVirus 2005 costs $49.95 in the US so probably about
3hrs to 4hrs work for the average worker in the US.
How many hours of work for an average paid Brazilian worker would it
take to buy that software in your country

I think that ~6 hours.

NAV here costs R$ 120 or so.

The main piracy is with operating systems, and high-end softwares like
Photoshop and Autocad.

Here, people buy PC's with pirated software, because the only
manufacturers that are known to put legal licenses of Windows on their
PC's are more expensive.

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from somewhere near Porto Alegre, Brazil.
"... one either has a shit, or not. Do you have yours?"

To reply remove "DEADTOTHESPAMMER" from address.

jo

Chaos said:
Here, people buy PC's with pirated software, because the only
manufacturers that are known to put legal licenses of Windows on their
PC's are more expensive.

I think this is true in the UK also.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

I think this is true in the UK also.

ICBW, but it's my impression that this is true in most of the world
outside the US itself, at least for personal-use computers. I can
hardly wait to see what Redmond will put in place to try to limit
unauthorized use of Longhorn.

Querulantus

Semolina Pilchard said:
This is my part of Scotland:
www.helmsdale.org

I've been there, a long time ago, on my way from Thurso to Inverness.
We stayed in the youth hostel, which is till there I see, and got
drunk in a tiny pub owned by a weird landlord.

Querulantus

miskairal

Cousin said:
A location-sorted view from the Irfanview Question Sub-Thread
Where Y'all Is ....

Got to admit, it's interesting!
Add another?
Australia, Queensland

Chaos Master

»Q« lies inside himself for hours:
outside the US itself, at least for personal-use computers. I can
hardly wait to see what Redmond will put in place to try to limit
unauthorized use of Longhorn.

When Longhorn comes, I will have probably moved to Linux or dumped PC
and start using Macintosh.

--
Chaos Master®, posting from somewhere near Porto Alegre, Brazil.
"... one either has a shit, or not. Do you have yours?"
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
http://marreka.blogspot.com --> news, hotter than high-power
transistors!

To reply remove "DEADTOTHESPAMMER" from address.

Ron May

Message-ID said:
Still ATC? See you in Brisbee

Glenn

Well it IS a small world after all. Good to see a fellow StarTexan!

(For everyone else, Brisbee was a "virtual" town on news.startext.net
when the Fort Worth Star-Telegram newspaper ran an internet service.)

Ron M.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

»Q« lies inside himself for hours:

When Longhorn comes, I will have probably moved to Linux or dumped
PC and start using Macintosh.

I think I will too. I'm using Gentoo GNU/Linux for almost
everything I do already. For some reason, I'm dragging my feet on
getting newsreading and e-mail set up the way I want, though.

Chaos Master

»Q« lies inside himself for hours:
I think I will too. I'm using Gentoo GNU/Linux for almost
everything I do already. For some reason, I'm dragging my feet on
getting newsreading and e-mail set up the way I want, though.

I've started trying Linux. Just need to get some better hardware now...
(my motherboard seems to have a flawed implementation of serial/parallel
ports)

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from somewhere near Porto Alegre, Brazil.
"... one either has a shit, or not. Do you have yours?"
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
http://marreka.blogspot.com --> news, hotter than high-power
transistors!

To reply remove "DEADTOTHESPAMMER" from address.

Chaos Master

omega lies inside himself for hours:
I did just see a count-in from Argentina.

At least, I am not the only South American here! :)

--
Chaos Master®, posting from somewhere near Porto Alegre, Brazil.
"... one either has a shit, or not. Do you have yours?"
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
http://marreka.blogspot.com --> news, hotter than high-power transistors!

To reply remove "DEADTOTHESPAMMER" from address.

omega

Cousin Stanley said:
| Btw, I keep having this wistful wish
| to see this data represented on a nice graphical world map.

I had exactly the same vision, but also didn't see
a quick way to put it all together ....

At first, I had some vague sense that it would require using software
for maps. I believe such isn't much available in freeware, but instead
in the form of large commercial CDs. I've only seen this kind of software
in passing. And actually more often, what I've dealt with has most often
been only in programs for trip-planning. So I don't know what's out there.

The other approach would be full manual labor, and probably the best
for such a project. The first, if able to locate somewhere on the web,
a graphic of a world map, hunting down one that looks the most suitable.
Then to open that in graphics program, and dot in the data.

Also most of us would need something to provide a cheat sheet. Probably
a web service would be best, if not have the software -- something that
would help indicate the spots on the map for the various locales.

Anyone who volunteered for that would have to be willing to expend some
real time and effort.... Well, for the moment at least, does anyone have
any favorite bookmarks for maps on the web?