are one in the same?

Thanks to everyone who chimed in!
Dean

D

Dave Patrick

Yep, one and the same.

--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| All right, looks like I'm back in business. BTW, it seems like what some
| calls news.Microsoft.com is listed as msnews.Microsoft.com. I assume they
| are one in the same?
|
| Thanks to everyone who chimed in!
| Dean

B

Bob O`Bob

Dean said:
All right, looks like I'm back in business. BTW, it seems like what some
calls news.Microsoft.com is listed as msnews.Microsoft.com. I assume they
are one in the same?

For /almost/ all practical purposes, yes.

In DNS,"news" is a CNAME record pointing to "msnews", the latter being the
actual host name with an A record supplying the IP.

So it is more efficient, though probably negligibly so, to use msnews.

Bob
--

D

Dean

Gotcha, thanks!

Bob O`Bob said:
For /almost/ all practical purposes, yes.

In DNS,"news" is a CNAME record pointing to "msnews", the latter being the
actual host name with an A record supplying the IP.

So it is more efficient, though probably negligibly so, to use msnews.

Bob
--

D

Dean

Since I've managed to retrieve all my old posts as you folks have instructed, whenever I reopen Outlook Express (which I also use for a tiny e-mail account, FWIW) and click on a newsgroup, it seems to take about 30 seconds and when it is done, all that shows are the threads started by me. That is all that I would generally want to see, so that part is fine, but I have to wonder what it is doing that takes 30 seconds. In fact, though my memory might be playing tricks on me, I recall that the update of the newsgroups happened automatically when I opened OE (which defaults to the e-mail inbox), i.e., that I didn't have to actually highlight a newsgroup, and also that it only took a few seconds to update.. Possibly related is that OE seems to stall when I am in the middle of posting quite often now and it never did before, almost as if it is interrupting my typing, so it can retrieve some new posts

Is it possible my settings (OE 6.0) need to be set back, perhaps some setting that tells it only to update new stuff, not the old stuff I already have?

Thanks!
Dean

the last sentence in my post:

if you don't see your post, click tools/get next x headers.

--

Gary

Against my better judgment, I couldn't leave well enough alone, and tried what you said. Now I can see my missing replies but not the initial post and a lot of other stuff is now missing, particularly older posts/threads, with issues that recur, so I'd hate to lose them. Please tell me how to get it all back!!

Dean
if you already have it set up in outlook express and can't see your posts, then reset the newsgroup.
right click the newsgroup and choose properties.
click the local file tab
click reset, yes and ok.

now click off the newsgroup and back on it and you will get the the number of posts set in tools/options/read.

if you don't see your post, click to get the tools/get next x headers.

--

Gary

I already have that account but it is not set as the default, so I am assuming I should do that - right?

Regarding my e-mail addy, is it showing up and, if so, how do I change that? The one I think I see - whhooshbopbang... seems to be showing and I think that account may be closed (or does that make no sense, am I using it?).

Thanks much!
Dean
tools>accounts>news>accounts>add>news>msnews.microsoft.com

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
(e-mail address removed)
My replies to others' replies to my earlier posts are not showing up, at least via my Outlook Express. Can anyone clue me in as to why that is happening? I see them in my sent folder.

I hope this new post works!

Thanks!
Dean

D

Dave Patrick

Check your synchronize settings. Also try asking them here. F.U. to:
public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress

--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
Since I've managed to retrieve all my old posts as you folks have
instructed, whenever I reopen Outlook Express (which I also use for a tiny
e-mail account, FWIW) and click on a newsgroup, it seems to take about 30
seconds and when it is done, all that shows are the threads started by me.
That is all that I would generally want to see, so that part is fine, but I
have to wonder what it is doing that takes 30 seconds. In fact, though my
memory might be playing tricks on me, I recall that the update of the
newsgroups happened automatically when I opened OE (which defaults to the
e-mail inbox), i.e., that I didn't have to actually highlight a newsgroup,
and also that it only took a few seconds to update.. Possibly related is
that OE seems to stall when I am in the middle of posting quite often now
and it never did before, almost as if it is interrupting my typing, so it
can retrieve some new posts

Is it possible my settings (OE 6.0) need to be set back, perhaps some
setting that tells it only to update new stuff, not the old stuff I already
have?

Thanks!
Dean

G

Gary Keramidas

click view/current view and make sure you have show all messages checked.

also, right click on each newsgroup and select catch up

--

Gary

Since I've managed to retrieve all my old posts as you folks have instructed, whenever I reopen Outlook Express (which I also use for a tiny e-mail account, FWIW) and click on a newsgroup, it seems to take about 30 seconds and when it is done, all that shows are the threads started by me. That is all that I would generally want to see, so that part is fine, but I have to wonder what it is doing that takes 30 seconds. In fact, though my memory might be playing tricks on me, I recall that the update of the newsgroups happened automatically when I opened OE (which defaults to the e-mail inbox), i.e., that I didn't have to actually highlight a newsgroup, and also that it only took a few seconds to update.. Possibly related is that OE seems to stall when I am in the middle of posting quite often now and it never did before, almost as if it is interrupting my typing, so it can retrieve some new posts

Is it possible my settings (OE 6.0) need to be set back, perhaps some setting that tells it only to update new stuff, not the old stuff I already have?

Thanks!
Dean

--

Gary

Against my better judgment, I couldn't leave well enough alone, and tried what you said. Now I can see my missing replies but not the initial post and a lot of other stuff is now missing, particularly older posts/threads, with issues that recur, so I'd hate to lose them. Please tell me how to get it all back!!

Dean
if you already have it set up in outlook express and can't see your posts, then reset the newsgroup.
click the local file tab
click reset, yes and ok.

now click off the newsgroup and back on it and you will get the the number of posts set in tools/options/read.

--

Gary

I already have that account but it is not set as the default, so I am assuming I should do that - right?

Regarding my e-mail addy, is it showing up and, if so, how do I change that? The one I think I see - whhooshbopbang... seems to be showing and I think that account may be closed (or does that make no sense, am I using it?).

Thanks much!
Dean

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
(e-mail address removed)
My replies to others' replies to my earlier posts are not showing up, at least via my Outlook Express. Can anyone clue me in as to why that is happening? I see them in my sent folder.

Thanks!
Dean

D

Don Guillett

Just to add a bit. You can use ctrl+h to select/deselect show all messages

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
(e-mail address removed)

Thanks!
Dean

--

Gary

Dean
click the local file tab
click reset, yes and ok.

--

Gary

Thanks much!
Dean

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
(e-mail address removed)

Thanks!
Dean

Ask a Question