Access is Denied

Last Wednesday my Vista machine randomly began being unresponsive for periods
of about a minute at a time. By Friday this had gotten so bad that I had to
do a manual reboot of the machine. Since then I can no longer connect my
dial-up or VPN connection. The connection gets to "Verifying user name and
password", but then errors: Error 5: Access is denied.
There is nothing wrong with the credentials - nothing changed, and I have
tested them on another computer. I also tried recreating the network
connections - that did not help.

Any ideas? Perhaps did something become corrupt when I did the manual
reboot? The unresponsiveness does seem to have stopped since that reboot (I
have also rebooted several times since then).

Thanks,
I. Kinal

plazticsoul

I. Kinal said:
Last Wednesday my Vista machine randomly began being unresponsive for
periods
of about a minute at a time. By Friday this had gotten so bad that I had
do a manual reboot of the machine. Since then I can no longer connect my
dial-up or VPN connection. The connection gets to "Verifying user name and
password", but then errors: Error 5: Access is denied.
There is nothing wrong with the credentials - nothing changed, and I have
tested them on another computer. I also tried recreating the network
connections - that did not help.

Any ideas? Perhaps did something become corrupt when I did the manual
reboot? The unresponsiveness does seem to have stopped since that reboot
(I
have also rebooted several times since then).

Thanks,
I. Kinal

I have no idea what might have caused this. However, if you suspect
something went awry with the forced shutdown, you should probably consider
using "System Restore" which can be found at Start > All Programs >
Accessories > System Tools. That would probably be my first choice if an
error occured after a hard-kill.

I didn't even know Vista had support for dial-up connections. People still
use those?

-=plazticsoul=-

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Assuming other OS VPN clients work, I would double check the Vista security
software for example OneCare may block the GRE. This case study may help,

Event ID 20209Troubleshooting: He loaded Microsoft OneCare software that
blocks the GRE. Reconfigured the OneCare settings fixes the problem. Related
Topics ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/troubleshooting/eventid20209.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN
Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net How to Setup Windows, Network,
VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Kinal,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, if the problem started happening recently, I suggest you
perform a System Restore to revert back to the initial status or other
correct state.

System Restore
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-
d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

Also please create a new administrative user account to test the issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Access is Denied
| Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:48:11 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Last Wednesday my Vista machine randomly began being unresponsive for
periods
| of about a minute at a time. By Friday this had gotten so bad that I had
| do a manual reboot of the machine. Since then I can no longer connect my
| dial-up or VPN connection. The connection gets to "Verifying user name
and
| password", but then errors: Error 5: Access is denied.
| There is nothing wrong with the credentials - nothing changed, and I have
| tested them on another computer. I also tried recreating the network
| connections - that did not help.
|
| Any ideas? Perhaps did something become corrupt when I did the manual
| reboot? The unresponsiveness does seem to have stopped since that reboot
(I
| have also rebooted several times since then).
|
| Thanks,
| I. Kinal

Thank you for all of the responses!

When I attempted to run System Restore, I found that there were no system
snapshots from before when the problem started occurring.

I did have Onecare installed, but I uninstalled it - that did not make a
difference.

I created a new test administrative account, and the problem still occurs in
that account.

I can also add this information: Even in the administrative account, after I
get the error and click close, I get the following dialog box message: You do
not have sufficient privileges for configuring connection properties. Contact
your administrator.

Thanks,
I. Kinal

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello Kinal,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, if the problem started happening recently, I suggest you
perform a System Restore to revert back to the initial status or other
correct state.

System Restore
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-
d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

Also please create a new administrative user account to test the issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Access is Denied
| Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:48:11 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Last Wednesday my Vista machine randomly began being unresponsive for
periods
| of about a minute at a time. By Friday this had gotten so bad that I had
| do a manual reboot of the machine. Since then I can no longer connect my
| dial-up or VPN connection. The connection gets to "Verifying user name
and
| password", but then errors: Error 5: Access is denied.
| There is nothing wrong with the credentials - nothing changed, and I have
| tested them on another computer. I also tried recreating the network
| connections - that did not help.
|
| Any ideas? Perhaps did something become corrupt when I did the manual
| reboot? The unresponsiveness does seem to have stopped since that reboot
(I
| have also rebooted several times since then).
|
| Thanks,
| I. Kinal

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Kinal,

Thanks for your response.

We strongly recommend that you do not run Windows Vista when UAC is
disabled. However, you can temporarily disable UAC to test the issue. You
can temporarily disable UAC in two ways.

Use User Accounts to turn off User Account Control
1. Open User Accounts. To do this, click Start, type accounts in the Start
Search box, and then click User Accounts in the Programs list.
2. Click Turn User Account Control on or off. If you are prompted for an
administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click
Continue.
3. Click to clear the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your
computer check box, and then click OK.
4. Restart the computer.

Use the System Configuration Utility to turn off User Account Control
1. Open User Accounts. To do this, click Start, type msconfig in the Start
Search box, and then click msconfig.exe in the Programs list. If you are
prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the
password, or click Continue.
2. On the Tools tab, click Disable UAC, and then click Launch.
3. Close the Command Prompt window, and then restart the computer.

> [...]

so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Access is Denied
| > | Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:48:11 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > | do a manual reboot of the machine. Since then I can no longer connect
my
| > | dial-up or VPN connection. The connection gets to "Verifying user
name
| > and
| > | password", but then errors: Error 5: Access is denied.
| > | There is nothing wrong with the credentials - nothing changed, and I
have
| > | tested them on another computer. I also tried recreating the network
| > |
| > | Any ideas? Perhaps did something become corrupt when I did the manual
| > | reboot? The unresponsiveness does seem to have stopped since that
reboot
| > (I
| > | have also rebooted several times since then).
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | I. Kinal
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Kinal,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 07:39:33 GMT
| Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hi Kinal,
|
| Thanks for your response.
|
| We strongly recommend that you do not run Windows Vista when UAC is
| disabled. However, you can temporarily disable UAC to test the issue. You
| can temporarily disable UAC in two ways.
|
| Use User Accounts to turn off User Account Control
| 1. Open User Accounts. To do this, click Start, type accounts in the
Start
| Search box, and then click User Accounts in the Programs list.
| 2. Click Turn User Account Control on or off. If you are prompted for
an
| administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click
| Continue.
| 3. Click to clear the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect
your
| computer check box, and then click OK.
| 4. Restart the computer.
|
| Use the System Configuration Utility to turn off User Account Control
| 1. Open User Accounts. To do this, click Start, type msconfig in the
Start
| Search box, and then click msconfig.exe in the Programs list. If you are
| prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the
| password, or click Continue.
| 2. On the Tools tab, click Disable UAC, and then click Launch.
| 3. Close the Command Prompt window, and then restart the computer.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| | Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| | Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:47:00 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| | difference.
| |
| | I created a new test administrative account, and the problem still
occurs
| in
| | that account.
| |
| | I can also add this information: Even in the administrative account,
| after I
| | get the error and click close, I get the following dialog box message:
| You do
| | not have sufficient privileges for configuring connection properties.
| Contact
| | your administrator.
| |
| | Thanks,
| | I. Kinal
| |
| | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| |
| | > Hello Kinal,
| | >
| | > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| | >
| | > From your post, if the problem started happening recently, I suggest
| you
| | > perform a System Restore to revert back to the initial status or
other
| | > correct state.
| | >
| | > System Restore

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-
| | > d762dd8e79e51033.mspx
| | >
| | > Also please create a new administrative user account to test the
issue.

| | > Thanks & Regards,
| | >
| | > Ken Zhao
| | >
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| | >
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| | > ====================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | > ====================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| | >

| | > --------------------
| had
| my
| name
| | > and
| have
| | > |
| reboot
| | > (I
| | > |
| | > |

| |

I tried disabling UAC, but that did not have any effect on this problem.

Thanks,
I. Kinal

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Kinal,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 07:39:33 GMT
| Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hi Kinal,
|
| Thanks for your response.
|
| We strongly recommend that you do not run Windows Vista when UAC is
| disabled. However, you can temporarily disable UAC to test the issue. You
| can temporarily disable UAC in two ways.
|
| Use User Accounts to turn off User Account Control
| 1. Open User Accounts. To do this, click Start, type accounts in the
Start
| Search box, and then click User Accounts in the Programs list.
| 2. Click Turn User Account Control on or off. If you are prompted for
an
| administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click
| Continue.
| 3. Click to clear the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect
your
| computer check box, and then click OK.
| 4. Restart the computer.
|
| Use the System Configuration Utility to turn off User Account Control
| 1. Open User Accounts. To do this, click Start, type msconfig in the
Start
| Search box, and then click msconfig.exe in the Programs list. If you are
| prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the
| password, or click Continue.
| 2. On the Tools tab, click Disable UAC, and then click Launch.
| 3. Close the Command Prompt window, and then restart the computer.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| | Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| | Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:47:00 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| | difference.
| |
| | I created a new test administrative account, and the problem still
occurs
| in
| | that account.
| |
| | I can also add this information: Even in the administrative account,
| after I
| | get the error and click close, I get the following dialog box message:
| You do
| | not have sufficient privileges for configuring connection properties.
| Contact
| | your administrator.
| |
| | Thanks,
| | I. Kinal
| |
| | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| |
| | > Hello Kinal,
| | >
| | > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| | >
| | > From your post, if the problem started happening recently, I suggest
| you
| | > perform a System Restore to revert back to the initial status or
other
| | > correct state.
| | >
| | > System Restore

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-
| | > d762dd8e79e51033.mspx
| | >
| | > Also please create a new administrative user account to test the
issue.

| | > Thanks & Regards,
| | >
| | > Ken Zhao
| | >
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| | >
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| | > ====================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | > ====================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| | >

| | > --------------------
| had
| my
| name
| | > and
| have
| | > |
| reboot
| | > (I
| | > |
| | > |

| |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Kinal,

For the error message, this seems to be a permission issue. Please check if
the access denied error is occurring on all VPN Windows Vista clients.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 21:22:00 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hi,
|
| I tried disabling UAC, but that did not have any effect on this problem.
|
| Thanks,
| I. Kinal
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Kinal,
| >
| > I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any
updates
| > or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let
me
| > know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| > | Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 07:39:33 GMT
| > | Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > |
| > | Hi Kinal,
| > |
| > | Thanks for your response.
| > |
| > | We strongly recommend that you do not run Windows Vista when UAC is
| > | disabled. However, you can temporarily disable UAC to test the issue.
You
| > | can temporarily disable UAC in two ways.
| > |
| > | Use User Accounts to turn off User Account Control
| > | 1. Open User Accounts. To do this, click Start, type accounts in the
| > Start
| > | Search box, and then click User Accounts in the Programs list.
| > | 2. Click Turn User Account Control on or off. If you are prompted
for
| > an
| > | administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or
click
| > | Continue.
| > | 3. Click to clear the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect
| > your
| > | computer check box, and then click OK.
| > | 4. Restart the computer.
| > |
| > | Use the System Configuration Utility to turn off User Account Control
| > | 1. Open User Accounts. To do this, click Start, type msconfig in the
| > Start
| > | Search box, and then click msconfig.exe in the Programs list. If you
are
| > | prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the
| > | password, or click Continue.
| > | 2. On the Tools tab, click Disable UAC, and then click Launch.
| > | 3. Close the Command Prompt window, and then restart the computer.
| > |
| > | Thanks & Regards,
| > |
| > | Ken Zhao
| > |
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > | Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| > |
| > | Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > | ====================================================
| > | When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > | that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| > | ====================================================
| > | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| > rights.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | --------------------
| > | |
| > system
| > | |
| > | |
| > occurs
| > | in
| > | |
| > | after I
| > | You do
| > | Contact
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |

| > | you
| > other

| > |

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-

| > issue.

| > | <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > | so
| > | rights.

| > | had
| > connect
| > | my
| > | name
| > | have
| > network
| > | | > |
| > manual
| > | reboot
| > | | > |
| > | | > |

| > | |
| > |
| > |

Unfortunately, this is the only Windows Vista machine to which I have access
at this time.

Thanks,
I. Kinal

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Kinal,

For the error message, this seems to be a permission issue. Please check if
the access denied error is occurring on all VPN Windows Vista clients.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 21:22:00 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hi,
|
| I tried disabling UAC, but that did not have any effect on this problem.
|
| Thanks,
| I. Kinal
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Kinal,
| >
| > I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any
updates
| > or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let
me
| > know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| > | Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 07:39:33 GMT
| > | Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > |
| > | Hi Kinal,
| > |
| > | Thanks for your response.
| > |
| > | We strongly recommend that you do not run Windows Vista when UAC is
| > | disabled. However, you can temporarily disable UAC to test the issue.
You
| > | can temporarily disable UAC in two ways.
| > |
| > | Use User Accounts to turn off User Account Control
| > | 1. Open User Accounts. To do this, click Start, type accounts in the
| > Start
| > | Search box, and then click User Accounts in the Programs list.
| > | 2. Click Turn User Account Control on or off. If you are prompted
for
| > an
| > | administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or
click
| > | Continue.
| > | 3. Click to clear the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect
| > your
| > | computer check box, and then click OK.
| > | 4. Restart the computer.
| > |
| > | Use the System Configuration Utility to turn off User Account Control
| > | 1. Open User Accounts. To do this, click Start, type msconfig in the
| > Start
| > | Search box, and then click msconfig.exe in the Programs list. If you
are
| > | prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the
| > | password, or click Continue.
| > | 2. On the Tools tab, click Disable UAC, and then click Launch.
| > | 3. Close the Command Prompt window, and then restart the computer.
| > |
| > | Thanks & Regards,
| > |
| > | Ken Zhao
| > |
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > | Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| > |
| > | Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > | ====================================================
| > | When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > | that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| > | ====================================================
| > | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| > rights.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | --------------------
| > | |
| > system
| > | |
| > | |
| > occurs
| > | in
| > | |
| > | after I
| > | You do
| > | Contact
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |

| > | you
| > other

| > |

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-

| > issue.

| > | <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > | so
| > | rights.

| > for
that

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Kinal,

Thanks for your response.

For the error message, please refer to the following article:
927831: An updated password is not saved for all users when you change the
password for an all-user network connection in Windows Vista, and you
receive the following error message: "Error 5: Access is denied"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;927831

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 10:58:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hi,
|
| Unfortunately, this is the only Windows Vista machine to which I have
access
| at this time.
|
| Thanks,
| I. Kinal
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Kinal,
| >
| > For the error message, this seems to be a permission issue. Please
check if
| > the access denied error is occurring on all VPN Windows Vista clients.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| > | Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 21:22:00 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | I tried disabling UAC, but that did not have any effect on this
problem.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | I. Kinal
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > updates
| > me

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > You
| > | > |
| > for
| > click
| > | > |
Control
| > are
computer.
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > so
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > | |
| > | > | |
| > make
| > | > | |
| > | > | |
| > account,
| > message:
| > properties.
| > | > | |
| > | > | |
| > | > | |

| > suggest

| > | > |

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-

| > newsreader
| > no

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > | > | | > |
| > unresponsive
| > that

Thank you for the article reference. The article does not exactly apply to
my situation, since there was no changed password, but I did work through the
workaround. I did find this: in step 4 it says to select "Anyone who uses
this computer" - this option is grayed out on my computer, which I find odd,
and is probably related to the problem.

Thanks,
I. Kinal

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Kinal,

Thanks for your response.

For the error message, please refer to the following article:
927831: An updated password is not saved for all users when you change the
password for an all-user network connection in Windows Vista, and you
receive the following error message: "Error 5: Access is denied"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;927831

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 10:58:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hi,
|
| Unfortunately, this is the only Windows Vista machine to which I have
access
| at this time.
|
| Thanks,
| I. Kinal
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Kinal,
| >
| > For the error message, this seems to be a permission issue. Please
check if
| > the access denied error is occurring on all VPN Windows Vista clients.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| > | Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 21:22:00 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | I tried disabling UAC, but that did not have any effect on this
problem.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | I. Kinal
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > updates
| > me

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > You
| > | > |
| > for
| > click
| > | > |
Control
| > are
computer.
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > so
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > | |
| > | > | |
| > make
| > | > | |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Kinal,

Based on the current situation, I suggest you check the following registry
key permission to see if your Vista account is listed inn the ACL.

1. From the Start menu, select Run, type REGEDIT, and press Enter.
2. Go to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\Parameters
3. Right-click on the folder Parameters and choose Permission.
4. make sure the user account is listed in the Users list.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 13:23:00 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hi,
|
| Thank you for the article reference. The article does not exactly apply
| my situation, since there was no changed password, but I did work through
the
| workaround. I did find this: in step 4 it says to select "Anyone who uses
| this computer" - this option is grayed out on my computer, which I find
odd,
| and is probably related to the problem.
|
| Thanks,
| I. Kinal
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Kinal,
| >
| > Thanks for your response.
| >
| > For the error message, please refer to the following article:
| > 927831: An updated password is not saved for all users when you change
the
| > password for an all-user network connection in Windows Vista, and you
| > receive the following error message: "Error 5: Access is denied"
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;927831
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| > | Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 10:58:01 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | Unfortunately, this is the only Windows Vista machine to which I have
| > access
| > | at this time.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | I. Kinal
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > check if

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

| > | > |
| > problem.
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > let

| > newsreader

| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
UAC
| > is
| > issue.
| > | > | > |
| > the
| > prompted
| > protect
| > | > | > |
| > Control
| > the
If
| > you
| > the
Launch.
| > computer.
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > newsreader
| > no
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > | > | > | |
| > | > | > | |
| > no
| > | > | > | |
| > not
| > | > | > | |
| > still

I checked the permissions on that registry key, and my user account did not
have explicit access, so I added it with full control permissions, but that
has not solved the problem.

One other thing that I have noticed - the administrator account does not
have permission to start/stop/restart the Remote Access Connection Manager
service, which I think might also be related to this permissions issue. How
would I check the permissions on a service?

Thanks,
I. Kinal

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Kinal,

Based on the current situation, I suggest you check the following registry
key permission to see if your Vista account is listed inn the ACL.

1. From the Start menu, select Run, type REGEDIT, and press Enter.
2. Go to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\Parameters
3. Right-click on the folder Parameters and choose Permission.
4. make sure the user account is listed in the Users list.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 13:23:00 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hi,
|
| Thank you for the article reference. The article does not exactly apply
| my situation, since there was no changed password, but I did work through
the
| workaround. I did find this: in step 4 it says to select "Anyone who uses
| this computer" - this option is grayed out on my computer, which I find
odd,
| and is probably related to the problem.
|
| Thanks,
| I. Kinal
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Kinal,
| >
| > Thanks for your response.
| >
| > For the error message, please refer to the following article:
| > 927831: An updated password is not saved for all users when you change
the
| > password for an all-user network connection in Windows Vista, and you
| > receive the following error message: "Error 5: Access is denied"
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;927831
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| > | Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 10:58:01 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | Unfortunately, this is the only Windows Vista machine to which I have
| > access
| > | at this time.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | I. Kinal
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > check if

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

| > | > |
| > problem.
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > let

| > newsreader

| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
UAC
| > is
| > issue.
| > | > | > |
| > the
| > prompted

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Kinal,

Thanks for your response.

Based on the current situation, I am not sure what is causing this
permission issue. Could you try to repair Windows Vista to see if it can be
resolved?

1. Boot into Vista installation DVD
2. Choose your language settings and click Next
3. Click Repair your computer
4. Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up System
Recovery Options.
5. Click on Startup Repair

Hope that helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 15:25:00 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hi,
|
| I checked the permissions on that registry key, and my user account did
not
| have explicit access, so I added it with full control permissions, but
that
| has not solved the problem.
|
| One other thing that I have noticed - the administrator account does not
| have permission to start/stop/restart the Remote Access Connection
Manager
| service, which I think might also be related to this permissions issue.
How
| would I check the permissions on a service?
|
| Thanks,
| I. Kinal
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Kinal,
| >
| > Based on the current situation, I suggest you check the following
registry
| > key permission to see if your Vista account is listed inn the ACL.
| >
| > 1. From the Start menu, select Run, type REGEDIT, and press Enter.
| > 2. Go to the following key:
| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\Parameters
| > 3. Right-click on the folder Parameters and choose Permission.
| > 4. make sure the user account is listed in the Users list.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| > | Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 13:23:00 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > | my situation, since there was no changed password, but I did work
through
| > the
| > | workaround. I did find this: in step 4 it says to select "Anyone who
uses
| > | this computer" - this option is grayed out on my computer, which I
find
| > odd,
| > | and is probably related to the problem.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | I. Kinal
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > the

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

Please
| > clients.

| > newsreader

| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > any

| > confers no

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |
> [...]

be
| resolved?
|
| 1. Boot into Vista installation DVD
| 2. Choose your language settings and click Next
| 3. Click Repair your computer
| 4. Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up
System
| Recovery Options.
| 5. Click on Startup Repair
|
| Hope that helps!
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

| |
| | I checked the permissions on that registry key, and my user account did
| not
| | have explicit access, so I added it with full control permissions, but
| that
| | has not solved the problem.
| |
| | One other thing that I have noticed - the administrator account does
not
| | have permission to start/stop/restart the Remote Access Connection
| Manager
| | service, which I think might also be related to this permissions issue.
| How
| | would I check the permissions on a service?
| |
| | Thanks,
| | I. Kinal
| |
| | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| |
| | > Hi Kinal,
| | >
| | > Based on the current situation, I suggest you check the following
| registry
| | > key permission to see if your Vista account is listed inn the ACL.
| | >
| | > 1. From the Start menu, select Run, type REGEDIT, and press Enter.
| | > 2. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\Parameters
| | > 3. Right-click on the folder Parameters and choose Permission.
| | > 4. make sure the user account is listed in the Users list.
| | >
| | > Thanks & Regards,
| | >
| | > Ken Zhao
| | >
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| | >
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| | > ====================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | > ====================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| | >

| | > --------------------
| through
| | > the
| uses
| find
| | > odd,
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| change
| | > the
| you

| | > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| newsreader
| | > so
| | > rights.

| have
| | > | > |
| | > | > |
| | > | > |

| Please
| | > clients.

| | > newsreader
| confers no

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| | > | > | > |
| | > | > | > |
| this
| | > | > | > |
| | > | > | > |
| | > | > | > |

| have
| | > any
| free

| | > confers no

| microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| | > | > | > | > |
| | > | > | > | > |
| when
| | > UAC
| test
| | > the
| | > | > | > | > |
| | > accounts in
Programs
| | > list.
| are
| |

I plan on trying the repair tomorrow. I will write back as to how it goes.

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Kinal,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 08:03:18 GMT
| Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hi Kinal,
|
| Thanks for your response.
|
| Based on the current situation, I am not sure what is causing this
| permission issue. Could you try to repair Windows Vista to see if it can
be
| resolved?
|
| 1. Boot into Vista installation DVD
| 2. Choose your language settings and click Next
| 3. Click Repair your computer
| 4. Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up
System
| Recovery Options.
| 5. Click on Startup Repair
|
| Hope that helps!
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| <[email protected]>
| <[email protected]>
| <[email protected]>
| <[email protected]>
| <[email protected]>
| <[email protected]>
| <[email protected]>
| <[email protected]>
| <[email protected]>
| <[email protected]>
| | Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| | Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 15:25:00 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| |
| | Hi,
| |
| | I checked the permissions on that registry key, and my user account did
| not
| | have explicit access, so I added it with full control permissions, but
| that
| | has not solved the problem.
| |
| | One other thing that I have noticed - the administrator account does
not
| | have permission to start/stop/restart the Remote Access Connection
| Manager
| | service, which I think might also be related to this permissions issue.
| How
| | would I check the permissions on a service?
| |
| | Thanks,
| | I. Kinal
| |
| | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| |
| | > Hi Kinal,
| | >
| | > Based on the current situation, I suggest you check the following
| registry
| | > key permission to see if your Vista account is listed inn the ACL.
| | >
| | > 1. From the Start menu, select Run, type REGEDIT, and press Enter.
| | > 2. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\Parameters
| | > 3. Right-click on the folder Parameters and choose Permission.
| | > 4. make sure the user account is listed in the Users list.
| | >
| | > Thanks & Regards,
| | >
| | > Ken Zhao
| | >
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| | >
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| | > ====================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | > ====================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| | >

| | > --------------------
| through
| | > the
| uses
| find
| | > odd,
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| change
| | > the
| you

| | > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| newsreader
| | > so
| | > rights.

I tried running the Startup Repair, but it did not find any problems.

Thanks,
I. Kinal

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?SS4gS2luYWw=?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Access is Denied
| > | Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 13:23:00 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > | my situation, since there was no changed password, but I did work
through
| > the
| > | workaround. I did find this: in step 4 it says to select "Anyone who
uses
| > | this computer" - this option is grayed out on my computer, which I
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > the

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

Please
| > clients.

| > newsreader

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: jimsbid <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Access is Denied
| Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 23:22:29 +0530
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing

To turn off password protected sharing, do the following:
| 1. In the Sharing and Discovery section of the Network and Sharing
Center window, click the down arrow next to Password protected sharing.

| 2. Within the Password protected sharing settings, click Turn off
password protected sharing, and then click Apply.

--
jimsbid
jimsbid's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=25812

http://forums.techarena.in