Access 2003 kills XP speed

Installing Access 2003 has killed the speed of XP. Why?

We have 2.6 GHz 512 Ram DELL running XP Pro with Office 97
installed. Goes like greased lightening.

Installed Access 2003 this morning and speed so reduced
that we thought Apps - VB6, Word 97, Excel 97, Access 97 -
were hanging.

Uninstalled Access 2003 and everything back to normal.

Does anyone know what's going on here, and why?

Steve

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Slow Performance When User Opens an Object with Name AutoCorrect Enabled
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290181&Product=acc2003

Defragment and Compact Database to Improve Performance
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288631&Product=acc2003

Please visit the Access experts in the Access newsgroup:

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

(e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| Installing Access 2003 has killed the speed of XP. Why?
|
| We have 2.6 GHz 512 Ram DELL running XP Pro with Office 97
| installed. Goes like greased lightening.
|
| Installed Access 2003 this morning and speed so reduced
| that we thought Apps - VB6, Word 97, Excel 97, Access 97 -
| were hanging.
|
| Uninstalled Access 2003 and everything back to normal.
|
| Does anyone know what's going on here, and why?
|
| Steve

Steve

Thank you, I had checked these out before posting the
original message, BUT they DO NOT answer the problem.

We haven't even used Access 2003. ALL of the apps on the
PC - but in particular VB6, Word 97, Excel 97 - are
running very slowly with Access 2003 installed.

There has to be a reason, no?

TIA
Steve Rainey

This apparently is not only an issue with Access 2003. I've been having problems with XP Pro (sp1) and the whole Office 2003 System. Many things are slowing down, including the recycle bin, and any sort of "normal" windows operation. It is most noticable when starting up the machine and opening any of the Office 2003 programs

There have been a hundred fragmented questions/responses on these and the Office forums, many of them pointing the finger at Symantec Antivirus Software I'm using Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 8.0, which doesn't give the option to turn off the Office plug-in as is recommended so many other places

I'm really, really starting to get beyond frustration with this issue. 10 minute start-up times and 2 to 5 minutes to open a program is unacceptable in 2004

----- Steve wrote: ----

Thank you, I had checked these out before posting the
original message, BUT they DO NOT answer the problem

We haven't even used Access 2003. ALL of the apps on the
PC - but in particular VB6, Word 97, Excel 97 - are
running very slowly with Access 2003 installed

There has to be a reason, no

TI
Steve Raine