about:blank webpage spoof?

Mark Mahaney

My homepage shows a webpage called about:blank. I cannot
reset it to my normal webpage (MSN) for anything and
have reinstalled IE6 per microsoft without result. The
site cannot be traced. Can anyone tell me how to search
and destroy this problem??

Don Varnau

That's a variant of coolwebsearch
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html#aboutblank

CWShredder from http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html should
remove it.

You should follow up with Ad-aware and/or Spybot. You may have
other malware installed.
See: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm for more information,
including security tips.

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"Mark Mahaney" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP

Mark Mahaney said:
My homepage shows a webpage called about:blank. I cannot
reset it to my normal webpage (MSN) for anything and
have reinstalled IE6 per microsoft without result. The
site cannot be traced. Can anyone tell me how to search
and destroy this problem??

How to remove Coolwebsearch and affiliates
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm#Coolwebsearch

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Gerald

My homepage shows a webpage called about:blank. I cannot
reset it to my normal webpage (MSN) for anything and
have reinstalled IE6 per microsoft without result. The
site cannot be traced. Can anyone tell me how to search
and destroy this problem??
.
Mark ,
open the web page you wish to use for your home page,
go to the tools menu on top of IE & select "internet
options", select the general tab & you can set your home
page from the top box by clicking on "use current: &
click ok.