A video capture device was not detected

P

Prem

I have downloaded MM2 and tried to copy from VCR. But it
gives an error message "A video capture device was not
detected", but it was well conected with S-Video cable.
Any one please help.

G

When i do dvd ripping qandf i want trasfer the segment or all the dvd to the movie make r syas it is not compatible what is the solution

G

I had the same problem with my VHS-C video camera. I connected the composite out of the camera to composite in on the pc and got the same message on my Viewsonic M2000 with windows xp media edition using moviemaker 2. I guess we are both missing the same step we need to get the communication going

G

Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media

Do you have a compatable analogue capture card fitted?
Graham
DnC said:
I had the same problem with my VHS-C video camera. I connected the
composite out of the camera to composite in on the pc and got the same
message on my Viewsonic M2000 with windows xp media edition using moviemaker
2. I guess we are both missing the same step we need to get the
communication going

G

I have a new sony vaio mc pc, seem to have a similar problem, have a vcr connected via component video inputs pre-installed. Can use sony's click to dvd to capture, but the program is too limited for my needs. When trying movie maker the error message that no device is detected appears, even though I know the device is working, as I've used it with the other application. Anyone know why?

G

Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media

Have a read of www.papajohn.org analogue capture.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP
www.simplydv.co.uk
www.dvds2treasure.com

Sonam said:
I have a new sony vaio mc pc, seem to have a similar problem, have a vcr
connected via component video inputs pre-installed. Can use sony's click to
dvd to capture, but the program is too limited for my needs. When trying
movie maker the error message that no device is detected appears, even
though I know the device is working, as I've used it with the other
application. Anyone know why?

G

Herb,

I talked it over with a friend who works on web development, and he suggested that in my case the Sony capture device might be converting to MPEG 2 on the fly, no AVI file. The editing software requires the uncompressed format, so they won't recognize the Mpeg input. I ended up getting a camcorder with analogue to digital passthrough and connecting it to my firewire (I-link or whatever you call it) input. My friend said the digital input is nearly universal, and any program should recognize it. So far that has done the trick for me. I don't know if this helps you at all, as my case dealt specifically with the capture card for this media center pc, as the card is really designed as more of a Tivo kind of thing. I'm no geek, but I think the problem with these media center pc analogue input ports is that they are not converting to avi format, which is the uncompressed digital video. They are more efficient at creating a DVD on the fly, as they convert directly to MPEG, great for instant playback on your media center pc/television, but not adequate for true editing software. I guess that's why the "click to DVD" software allows only for cut and splice editing, and then not in fine detail, because your working on compressed video. This is all theory by the way, I've found no documentation to back it up. I do know that an analogue-to digital passthrough device, whether a camcorder or stand alone device (reviews I've read indicate you should be careful when choosing those), as long as it outputs to a firewire card (digital input on the pc) will solve the problem. Hope this is helpful.

Ask a Question