a simple save problem

David Isaacs

Using Power point 2003.
I have created a series of text slides but don't know how to save them in a
way that allows them to be played as a slideshow.
After "save as", and "save in", what is the correct "save as type". Or is
there something else that should make this more easy?
I don't remember having this problem with pps 2000.
Dave Isaacs.

Steve Rindsberg

Using Power point 2003.
I have created a series of text slides but don't know how to save them in a
way that allows them to be played as a slideshow.
After "save as", and "save in", what is the correct "save as type". Or is
there something else that should make this more easy?
I don't remember having this problem with pps 2000.

PowerPoint Show (*.pps)

Or just rename the existing .PPT file with a .PPS extension.

David Isaacs

Thanks Glen and Steve,
The file properties show as "Microsoft Power Point Presentation" not .pps.
Is there a difference?
I have saved them to a folder on the desktop. What should I do to get them
working as a pps presentation please. I am having a serious seniors moment
lasting much longer than a moment. :-}
Regards,
Dave.

David Isaacs

I have got myself in a real mess.
Having renamed the files with .PPS extension (is upper case OK) and have
them in a folder within My Computer I still cant get the files to open as a
sideshow.
Can someone give me a step by step tutorial. When I make a slide, how should
I save it and to where, and then how do I play the sideshow please.
Should they be saved within Power Point?
Dave.

Sonia

What happens when you go to My Computer, locate the file and double click on it?
Any message? What is the full and exact message?

David Isaacs

There is no message, the individual files open in Power Point, but not as a
slideshow.
They are saved in a folder named election.pps within my documents
Thanks,
Dave.

Sonia

Try this:
1. Go to My Computer
2. Go to Tools > Folder Options > File Types
3. Locate PPS in the list and highlight it
4. Click on the Advanced button
5. In the list of Actions, do you see "Show"? Is it highlighted?
6. If it isn't highlighted, click on the button labeled "Set Default", click on
OK, click on Close
7. Now locate your PPS file and double click on it

Let us know what happens. If there is a problem, let us know at which step you
have a problem.

David Isaacs

They all open individually in Power Point, but not as a slideshow. There is
no message.
I have them in a folder named election.pps in My Documents. Should I have
them saved somewhere else?
Thanks Sonia.

David Isaacs

I followed your steps 1 to7 without a problem, Show was highlighted. However
the problem is still the same, no slideshow. Am I missing a setting in Power
Point that should be taken?
Dave.

David Isaacs

I am unable to find the path to Power point. A search leads me to desktop
and start menu. Nothing in Program files.
Can you help me here, or should I re-load Power Point. It is on a Office
Professional edition 2003 CD.
Dave.

Sonia

Well, PowerPoint is there because you said in previous replies that you've
opened to create a presentation. It's probably at
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\POWERPNT.EXE or somewhere near there.
Did you search for POWERPNT.EXE?

Steve Rindsberg

Try this:

Quit PowerPoint if it's running
Click Start then click Run
In the Open box, type this (better yet, copy/paste this into the box):

powerpnt.exe /regserver

Click OK.

You'll see a message box telling you to wait while Office reconfigures
...yadayadayada. It shouldn't take more than 30 seconds or so.

Once it finishes, try doubleclicking one of your PPS files.

David Isaacs

I have done this Steve, the reconfiguration took place but only individual
files open, no show.
Sonia I searched for POWERPNT.EXE it found C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\OFFICE11, but no reconfiguration.
Many thanks you guys, I appreciate your endeavours.
What next,
Dave.

"Steve Rindsberg" <abuse
@localhost.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Sonia

I have a feeling that we might not be talking about the same thing here, or we
don't understand your expectation.

Try right clicking on your PPS file. Do you see "Show" in the popup menu?

Steve Rindsberg

One last thing I can think of:

There's a braindead default setting in Windows that hides the file extensions
from you. So we have a system that depends *utterly* on file extensions to
determine what do do with all files and Bill decides to *hide* the *@#^$^
things from us.

Strike one.

Then many of his programs decide to "help" you because they know better.
Even if you add a .PPS extension in the File, Save dialog, they're liable to
tack on whatever's better for you after that.

And since the real extension is hidden, you end up with a file called
MyFile.PPS.PPT, but all you can see is the .PPS part at the end.

Strike two.

One more strike and we'll have to send Bill to The Torvalds School for the
Incorrigibly Arrogant.

Have a look at the Windows Setup section here:
Do this before using PowerPoint seriously
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00034.htm