A MS update (KB888111) won't uninstall

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by RobF, Nov 19, 2008.

  1. RobF

    RobF Guest

    This posted yesterday didn't show up in OE or in Google groups web site or
    Thunderbird. Trying again:

    Win XP Home. Trying to remove completely the Asus on board sound system by
    RealTek. The subject update installs a package for High Definition Audio
    driver. Device manager describes the item under Other Devices (with yellow Q
    mark) as audio device onHi Def audio bus. This KB888111 update, not
    removeable in Add/Remove, is apparently connected with the RealTek sound
    system, which I had hoped was completely ripped out to make way for a sound
    card, just installed, with a versatile suite of functions.
    Trouble is, the "new hardware found" wizard keeps popping on screen with
    each boot up. I have taken realtek completely out of registry. Not any other
    trace of it can I find. Am at a loss as to how to end this Wizard annoyance.
    Add/Remove responds to the remove command with...unable to...may be package
    already deleted...
    Meanwhile, no problems with new sound system.
    There is much at MS web sites on KB888111, but am not having success in
    understanding how to disappear it.
    Suggestions much appreciated.

    --
    RobF
    Address anti-spammed

    RobF, Nov 19, 2008

  2. RobF

    Paul Guest

    RobF wrote:
    > This posted yesterday didn't show up in OE or in Google groups web site or
    > Thunderbird. Trying again:
    >
    > Win XP Home. Trying to remove completely the Asus on board sound system by
    > RealTek. The subject update installs a package for High Definition Audio
    > driver. Device manager describes the item under Other Devices (with yellow Q
    > mark) as audio device onHi Def audio bus. This KB888111 update, not
    > removeable in Add/Remove, is apparently connected with the RealTek sound
    > system, which I had hoped was completely ripped out to make way for a sound
    > card, just installed, with a versatile suite of functions.
    > Trouble is, the "new hardware found" wizard keeps popping on screen with
    > each boot up. I have taken realtek completely out of registry. Not any other
    > trace of it can I find. Am at a loss as to how to end this Wizard annoyance.
    > Add/Remove responds to the remove command with...unable to...may be package
    > already deleted...
    > Meanwhile, no problems with new sound system.
    > There is much at MS web sites on KB888111, but am not having success in
    > understanding how to disappear it.
    > Suggestions much appreciated.

    Disable RealTek in the BIOS ?

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 19, 2008

  3. RobF

    RobF Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:gg1uj8$1o5$...
    | RobF wrote:
    | > This posted yesterday didn't show up in OE or in Google groups web site
    or
    | > Thunderbird. Trying again:
    | >
    | > Win XP Home. Trying to remove completely the Asus on board sound system
    by
    | > RealTek. The subject update installs a package for High Definition Audio
    | > driver. Device manager describes the item under Other Devices (with
    yellow Q
    | > mark) as audio device onHi Def audio bus. This KB888111 update, not
    | > removeable in Add/Remove, is apparently connected with the RealTek sound
    | > system, which I had hoped was completely ripped out to make way for a
    sound
    | > card, just installed, with a versatile suite of functions.
    | > Trouble is, the "new hardware found" wizard keeps popping on screen with
    | > each boot up. I have taken realtek completely out of registry. Not any
    other
    | > trace of it can I find. Am at a loss as to how to end this Wizard
    annoyance.
    | > Add/Remove responds to the remove command with...unable to...may be
    package
    | > already deleted...
    | > Meanwhile, no problems with new sound system.
    | > There is much at MS web sites on KB888111, but am not having success in
    | > understanding how to disappear it.
    | > Suggestions much appreciated.
    | >

    | Disable RealTek in the BIOS ?
    |
    | Paul

    Tried to do that, Paul, but can't find an audio entry in BIOS. Not there.
    Installed from CD; no enable required. Asus has fixed its contact system so
    that contact is impossible. Ingenious. Easy to find a LAN. for instance, not
    audio. Appreciate your input.
    --
    RobF
    Address anti-spammed

    RobF, Nov 20, 2008
  4. RobF

    Paul Guest

    RobF wrote:

    > | Disable RealTek in the BIOS ?
    > |
    > | Paul
    >
    > Tried to do that, Paul, but can't find an audio entry in BIOS. Not there.
    > Installed from CD; no enable required. Asus has fixed its contact system so
    > that contact is impossible. Ingenious. Easy to find a LAN. for instance, not
    > audio. Appreciate your input.

    Doing a search on your user ID, you posted a query about Asus M2V on
    Oct30,2008. Opening my cached copy of M2V, I see in Section
    4.4.5 "Onboard Device Configuration", that the first item

    HD Auto Controller [Disabled]

    controls audio. Yes, that is an incorrect spelling in the
    manual. It is supposed to be "HD Audio". That would be
    the interface to your ALC660 that you want to disable.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 20, 2008
  5. RobF

    RobF Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:gg4647$229$...
    | RobF wrote:
    | > |
    | > | Disable RealTek in the BIOS ?
    | > |
    | > | Paul
    | >
    | > Tried to do that, Paul, but can't find an audio entry in BIOS. Not
    there.
    | > Installed from CD; no enable required. Asus has fixed its contact system
    so
    | > that contact is impossible. Ingenious. Easy to find a LAN. for instance,
    not
    | > audio. Appreciate your input.
    |
    | Doing a search on your user ID, you posted a query about Asus M2V on
    | Oct30,2008. Opening my cached copy of M2V, I see in Section
    | 4.4.5 "Onboard Device Configuration", that the first item
    |
    | HD Auto Controller [Disabled]
    |
    | controls audio. Yes, that is an incorrect spelling in the
    | manual. It is supposed to be "HD Audio". That would be
    | the interface to your ALC660 that you want to disable.
    |
    | Paul

    Many thanks, Paul. When I (many times, reading manual) saw HD Auto
    Controller, directly above the LAN option I mentioned earlier, my attention
    became mugged and robbed of sense, and I skipped along, thus missing the
    smaller type that states plainly enough HighDef *Audio* etc. And HD in the
    bold type would not mean Hard Drive.
    Very good of you to take the trouble to look up my Asus model number and
    find (pardon the caps) THE answer in the board's manual.

    --
    RobF
    Address anti-spammed

    RobF, Nov 20, 2008