a:\ is not accessible

G

This is the error message I keep getting. My floppy drive had been working fine for the past few months, but now I get this error message.

a:\ is not accessible
No ID address mark was found on the floppy disk

Anyone have a suggestion?

G

That would have helped if I had done a format, however this is happening on ALL disks that I put in the drive. It doesn't matter what I do, nothing is reading, but the light comes on, and I can hear the drive making noise like it wants to do something... disks that were working before now won't come up on my computer. I have tried them on other computers, thinking maybe by some off chance all of mine were damaged, but they worked on a different computer. Whats the deal with it?

J

johnf

This sounds like the ongoing problem caused by MS, for some reason, dropping
3-mode floppy drivers from XP.
Try copying one of your floppies to the desktop on another (non-XP) PC,
format the floppy there, then copy the files back to the floppy.
Bet you XP will then recognise it.

G

Hell
Dont want to sound too drastic....but you know what im thinking.....buy an new floppy disk drive
they are pretty cheap...around £10 sterling (though im not sure were you are living in the world
and they are very easy to install
or try uninstalling the floppy via the divice manager....shut down the machine...
unplug the drive from the mother board....start the machine and let it run for a while.
then shut it down again....plug the floppy back into the motherboard...start the machine
now xp may reconise the new hardware automaticaly and install it...or you may install the driv
through the " add new hardware wizard "

unless you can think of any changes you have made to your system recenlty that may hav
caused this to happen...in which case you can run system restore

hope this helps

emerson

G

Thanks for the help everyone... I tried copying the files and reformatting the disks then puttin the files back on... didn't work... ended up salvaging a old floppy drive from an old computer of mine... now it works... duh... why didn't I think of that before?

Ask a Question