A 2002 XP Question

Steve Rindsberg

First question: do you NEED both? Is it worth this aggro, Jan?

If so, you need to get 2000 installed and working right first.
Then install 2002, choose a CUSTOM install. Force it to install into a
different folder and show it a movie about Thor if it so much as MENTIONS
getting rid of the older version stuff for you. Which it'll try very hard
to do.

Now. You mentioned "upgrade". Does that mean that your 2002 is an upgrade
version? If so, I'm not sure if it WILL allow you to install as a
standalone next to 2000. It may insist on eating its ancestor.

--
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP

Jan Il said:
I did Echo, but, I put the 2000 CD in the D:\ drive and then it started to
install it??? So I let it do..but, should I have taken out the 2002 and put
it in the same E:\ drive so it could say..'k..cool..carry on...??

'k...I got them both axed at the moment...let me try doing the 2002 first,
then the 2000. Yeah, 2002 is the upgrade...but, a question...if I install
the 2002 first, then the 2000...is that not sorta like putting the cart
before the horse? If I install the 2002, then the 2000, won't the 2000
files overwrite the 2002? I only ask 'cause I don't know how these progs
speak to each other...nicely...that is...

Seems like right now they are like the Hatfields and McCoys. I'm trying my
best to play ref..but, they keep giving it to me in the....shins. <g>

Jan :)

John O

Now. You mentioned "upgrade". Does that mean that your 2002 is an
upgrade
version? If so, I'm not sure if it WILL allow you to install as a
standalone next to 2000. It may insist on eating its ancestor.

Yeah, it allows standalones. My desktop now has my original 2000, the
XP/2002 upgrade, and the 2003 upgrade.

However, both upgrades hijacked my Start Menu icon for previous versions, so
now all three icons now open 2003. That's what I intended when I told it to
leave the previous version in place, wasn't it? No, I have to create new
links, manually. (search for the .exe's, identify which is which, create
shortcuts, get them on the start menu)

<rant>
I HATE when they do that! The dang thing searches for links to the
previous-version .exe's and changes them. John L: this is the kind of stuff
that drives power-users insane, and less-capable users just believe their
older version is gone. I don't get it.
</rant>

-John O

John O

See, there's the problem. A technicolor ending, but not a happy one.
There'd be Eisner-pelt nailed to the side of the barn if that ever got
turned into a movie. Besides, it's got no Aussie surferturtledudes.

Nor hordes of seagulls chanting Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine. (I think that part
is great)

Steve Rindsberg

However, both upgrades hijacked my Start Menu icon for previous versions,
so
now all three icons now open 2003. That's what I intended when I told it to
leave the previous version in place, wasn't it? No, I have to create new
links, manually. (search for the .exe's, identify which is which, create
shortcuts, get them on the start menu)

There's even an MS technote about that - it suggests copying the shortcuts
into another location on the Start menu before installing the newer version
of Office for just that reason.

I can see why they do this, though ... I suspect most users install the
upgrade/update and and *want* it to take over, old version begone, long live
the new. In that light, this behavior's quite reasonable.

And while it may drive powerusers a bit nuts, they at least know how to fix
the problem.

It's not ideal, but if they have to inconvenience somebody, it's reasonable
to take on the ones best able to defend themselves.

I wonder what the official policy is re retaining multiple versions in an
upgrade situation?

Kathryn Jacobs

Where's Glenna when we need her? This would be great turned into one of her
epics!

(By the way, did anyone else notice that the Mine Mine Mine birds were not
in the credits? Would have been such a great gag to have them start fighting
over one of the credit sections!)

--
Kathryn Jacobs, Microsoft PPT MVP
If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:

John O

I can see why they do this, though ... I suspect most users install the
upgrade/update and and *want* it to take over, old version begone, long live
the new. In that light, this behavior's quite reasonable.

I dunno... I chose to keep the old version, must've been a reason for that.
IMO there's not much sense in keeping the old version if they are
intentionally removing the launch point. Although the fix..."protect
yourself from us"...isn't all that exciting. :) I get the feeling the
marketers had too much say in this.
I wonder what the official policy is re retaining multiple versions in an
upgrade situation?

The same as dual boot. The Win 2k EULA is clear: you may run one operating
system on this computer. No further clarification to be had. But the
installation guides made it very easy to dual boot, they almost walked us
into that option...which contradicts the EULA. MS doesn't clarify these
things, nor do they provide examples, we're on our own to interpret and make
sure we're abiding the license. I think they leave this one ambiguous on
purpose.

-John O

Steve Rindsberg

I dunno... I chose to keep the old version, must've been a reason for
that.
IMO there's not much sense in keeping the old version if they are
intentionally removing the launch point.

As in "why let you keep the old if they're not going to let you keep and use
the old"?
Point taken.
The same as dual boot. The Win 2k EULA is clear: you may run one operating
system on this computer.

One copy of the OS or do they really expect to be able to tell me what other

Steve Rindsberg

(By the way, did anyone else notice that the Mine Mine Mine birds were not
in the credits? Would have been such a great gag to have them start fighting
over one of the credit sections!)

Heavens yes! I saw the film on a plane, so even if they were in the
credits, I'd never have been able to make 'em out.

Kathryn Jacobs

If you haven't seen it on at least a TV sized screen, you are missing some
fun. The DVD was definitely worth the money on this one!

--
Kathryn Jacobs, Microsoft PPT MVP
If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:
http://rate.affero.net/jacobskl/
Get PowerPoint answers at http://www.powerpointanswers.com
Cook anything outdoors with http://www.outdoorcook.com
Kathy is a trainer, writer, Girl Scout, and whatever else there is time for
I believe life is meant to be lived. But:
if we live without making a difference, it makes no difference that we lived

Steve Rindsberg

If you haven't seen it on at least a TV sized screen, you are missing some
fun. The DVD was definitely worth the money on this one!

It's one I'd pay to see in a good movie theatre just for the
animation/graphics.

Mike M.

I am using it to test my streaming video here at the office. It looks very
nice on a 50" High Def Plasma. If I could only figure out how to open the
firewall..... I could trim the seagull part, put it into an infinite "Mine,
mine, mine" loop and go completely (or more so) insane.

Kathryn Jacobs

If you figure out how to do it, let me know. I would love to put this on
infinite loop on one of Bruce's computers just to see his reaction :)

--
Kathryn Jacobs, Microsoft PPT MVP
If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:
http://rate.affero.net/jacobskl/
Get PowerPoint answers at http://www.powerpointanswers.com
Cook anything outdoors with http://www.outdoorcook.com
Kathy is a trainer, writer, Girl Scout, and whatever else there is time for
I believe life is meant to be lived. But:
if we live without making a difference, it makes no difference that we lived

John O

Whew, it's good to know I wasn't the only one who found those birds amusing.
:)

The DVD comes with both widescreen and 4:3 disks...

Jan Il

Steve Rindsberg said:
Emcees. Or maybe the ship-shape hip-hop version, Run, D EmCee?

Oh. Well...it would seem a lot of them really are in over their heads most
of the time??
And then the cockle crew and the crew cackled while Mike Kee ... was also
put out by the output that he put out.

Huh? Cockle crews cackle? I di-dn't know that.. Dang...another
re-write.... said:
See, there's the problem. A technicolor ending, but not a happy one.
There'd be Eisner-pelt nailed to the side of the barn if that ever got
turned into a movie. Besides, it's got no Aussie surferturtledudes.

Ya know...you're right! Now where's Glen when ya need him?? Maybe Eisner
should have been watching the film boards instead of the Stock boards. Might
have been a happier ending. But, hey...Mikey liked it! ;-))

Jan Il

John O said:
Whew, it's good to know I wasn't the only one who found those birds amusing.
:)

The DVD comes with both widescreen and 4:3 disks...

Yowzereee Bob...! I have one of those big-screen, cinemascope TV's, and
surround sound! The sea gulls were awesome. My favorite part was when they
held up one of the sewer pipe crabs out of the water in front of the sea
gulls who started chanting, "Mine! Mine! Mine!" to make him talk. heh heh!!
I 'really' enjoyed that one. Kinda made me think of Mikey at the dinner
table... ;-)))

Jan Il

John O said:
Whew, it's good to know I wasn't the only one who found those birds
amusing.

Oh...I find them VERY amusing. See...one our neighbors just got a new BMW
a month ago...and they like to park it out in the front to show it off to
everyone. But, ya see...there is a landfill just over the hill from
us...the one the fires managed to miss...and every morning at approximately
8:15a...there is this huge flock of sea gulls that fly over on their way to
the landfill......yeah.....they have to have the greatest natural bomb
sights. The neighbor has an open account with the local car wash.... heh,
heh, heh.....

Ya just gotta love it......

Jan Il

Steve Rindsberg said:
First question: do you NEED both? Is it worth this aggro, Jan?

No...I really don't need it as long as I could work with 2000 files in 2002
ok, and, that is why I wanted to uninstall it. But, I've installed both
versions to separate folders, and yet, if I delete 2000, 2002 insists that I
put it back! 'Why' is the 64,000 dollar question.
If so, you need to get 2000 installed and working right first.
Then install 2002, choose a CUSTOM install. Force it to install into a
different folder and show it a movie about Thor if it so much as MENTIONS
getting rid of the older version stuff for you. Which it'll try very hard
to do.

I have done a CUSTOM install of both, to; run from my computer, run from
first load, run from the last load, run from your computer, run away from
home, with no...don't delete this one, leave that one alone, no touchey,
'k...what the heck, go for i ..and I still get the same problem.
Now. You mentioned "upgrade". Does that mean that your 2002 is an upgrade
version? If so, I'm not sure if it WILL allow you to install as a
standalone next to 2000. It may insist on eating its ancestor.

Yes. it is an Upgrade....and... 'k..a bit of regression to the original
Conch shell.....when I first got the Upgrade in June this year, I did the
Upgrade selection, and when I posted that I was having problems, you said I
should never do the Upgrade, but, should install the 2002 to a separate
folder. So... I did...and there has been peaceful co-habitation between the
generations ...until now. I've done nothing new, nothing old, nothing
borrowed, nothing blue..(well...maybe a few words here and there...>;->)

'k...here's what happens when I install the 2002 to a new folder after I
install the 2000. When I open PPT or Word 2002, I get the dialog box that
says it is configuring 2000 and a progress line...then it tells me to insert
Office 2000 Disk #1...?? It does not do this in Access or Excel 2002. I
don't have a problem axing 2000 if this would solve the problem. So...at
this point, should I just do an Upgrade install of 2002 and let it and 2000
do lunch?? Obviously, it's not going to let me do anything without having
2000 installed first.
--
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

John O said:
Yeah, it allows standalones. My desktop now has my original 2000, the
XP/2002 upgrade, and the 2003 upgrade.

John, how do you have your folders set up? Maybe I'm not doing this part
right somehow...?

Jan Il

John O said:
I dunno... I chose to keep the old version, must've been a reason for that.
IMO there's not much sense in keeping the old version if they are
intentionally removing the launch point. Although the fix..."protect
yourself from us"...isn't all that exciting. :) I get the feeling the
marketers had too much say in this.

The same as dual boot. The Win 2k EULA is clear: you may run one operating
system on this computer. No further clarification to be had. But the
installation guides made it very easy to dual boot, they almost walked us
into that option...which contradicts the EULA. MS doesn't clarify these
things, nor do they provide examples, we're on our own to interpret and make
sure we're abiding the license. I think they leave this one ambiguous on
purpose.

I went to the separate .exe for each program, and created a new icon for
them on the desktop, so that it would know which was which. But, it did not
seem to make any difference. It's like, if I want Tweedle Dum, I also have
to take Tweedle Dee. Even though they are in separate folders, and accessed
independently, they seem to be joined at the brain, and can't see things any
other way.

Jan :)