Windows XP 98 is dead ... long live XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Don't diss Win98! OR Office 97. Ok, maybe 98....but office 97 still rocks. I've finally upgraded to WinMe cos i heard there are problems with the ethernet card we are given for cable internet and windows xp.

-Pete

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
huh!

...cos i heard there are problems with the Ethernet card we are given for cable internet and windows XP.

Let me guess, it’s a Realtek ... ugh.

:roll:

Reaction score
Well now that you mention it......no...it's a netgear one. My other network cards a linksys and it works perfectly.

muckshifter

Reaction score
still don't like Realtek

Hmmm, a little strange that ... netgear was my first choice, now have a couple of 3Com TX cards in my system but still use the hub from Netgear.

Which Netgear NIC is it that has a "problem"?

Reaction score
FA310TX, i was told by NTL that i couldn't use it with XP so i haven't bothered upgrading and attempting to do it yet.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well my first surprise is NTL supplying the NIC card in the first place, my second surprise (well not really) is supplying an "out of date" card. It’s nearly 3 years old. :roll:

However, you’re probably aware that you don't have to use their card; any "good" NIC will do the same job, if not better. :D

Dump it.

Reaction score
Yeah i know i don't have to use it. I may change soon if i find a free nic or if i get a new mobo with an onboard nic

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
bill gates needs a haircut

My not so humble opinions:

WIN 3.1 & WIN 95 should be put in a sack with several bricks and tossed into the Thames from Tower Bridge.

WIN 98 still has a place as a secondary OS, primarily amongst Gamers. In fact with many games released between 97 & '01 there is little other choice.

ME sucks a large one.

2K is for those who like to feel clever & professional, without realising they're missing out on many useful extras. Still a most excellent OS despite that.

XP is for those who want the best of all worlds, understand all the features of this, the closest MS have come to a bug free OS (although it's not) and have the intelligence and patience to look beyond the standard interface and mould the XP OS to their own ends.

And DOS 6.22 can still play some excellent games and office applications, don't write this one off yet!

NT? That's for businesses innit?

The stall selling rotten vegetables is just over there gentlemen :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
oo-er

Originally posted by petesmc
XP is just NT 5 FYI.

Well of course it is *cough* everybody knows that don't they *cough*

(Go on Flops, wiggle yer way out of this one then....)

OK, I didn't know that, but it does make sense considering all I've heard about NT's stability in a business enviroment.

Thanks, petesmc, for pointing that out...:embarasse

muckshifter

Reaction score
Flopps, I've been pointing that out since day one. ;) However, if MS "labelled" XP as NT5 they would have lost "the home user market" all together. Better to rename the "product" than loose customers. :D

But not to split hairs it's actually NT5.1. :p

Reaction score
I was still using 98SE up until a month ago. I had a very stable system and didn't want to touch a thing (since it was the 9x kernel, and getting a stable platform is tough enough), but alas, I decided to upgrade.

Very happy with XP, though (or NT 5.1 if you will)

Reaction score
I still use 98se, and it does everything i want it to do! And i don't have to download 10,000,000 fixes and patches just to get it to run properly and safely when i'm on the internet.....Also my system runs faster than any of my friends XP systems.(Only grumpy old age pensioners and XP fanatics would find fault with what is world wide STILL the most popular version of Windows!) :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question