64 bit Windows XP

Ron Hirsch

It seems that I saw a statement that the forthcoming version of Windows XP
will support only 64 bit, and 32 bit programs. Will there be no way to run
legacy 16 bit software?

I have a variety of 16 bit programs that have no counterparts, and the
sources are no longer around. But, these programs are all used by me
regularly, and I don't want to lose them. If the "new" 64 bit Windows will
not run them, what options do I have, other than setting up a dual boot
system (which I don't want to have to do), when I get a new system later on
this year?

The current Windows XP does have ways for users to run legacy programs. Will
the new XP have something similar?

Ron Hirsch

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Newsgroup Support for Windows for 64-Bit Extended Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/x64/trial/support.mspx

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems Customer Preview Program
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

List of Limitations in 64-Bit Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282423&Product=winxp

Cannot Install Some Programs on Windows XP for 64-bit Platforms
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298218&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| It seems that I saw a statement that the forthcoming version of Windows XP
| will support only 64 bit, and 32 bit programs. Will there be no way to run
| legacy 16 bit software?
|
| I have a variety of 16 bit programs that have no counterparts, and the
| sources are no longer around. But, these programs are all used by me
| regularly, and I don't want to lose them. If the "new" 64 bit Windows will
| not run them, what options do I have, other than setting up a dual boot
| system (which I don't want to have to do), when I get a new system later on
| this year?
|
| The current Windows XP does have ways for users to run legacy programs. Will
| the new XP have something similar?
|
| Ron Hirsch

Rube

If you absolutely must use the older programs and a newer version of Windows
won't support it, then you may have to do what I have seen so many times
before: have a legacy stand-alone computer running an OS that will run the
app. To this day, I still see clients running DOS and their original
versions of a finite element analysis program or a mail list program that
they can't export from.

Ron Hirsch

Hi Carey,

Thanks for all the info. I read over things, and it's bad news for me and
lots of others.

At first I thought that I could use some of my 16 bit stuff, as they require
no install program nor Registry entries - just copy the applicable files
into a folder, and the install is done. but, MS states that

"No 16-bit code can run, except for recognized InstallShield and Acme
installers (these are hard-coded in Wow64 to allow them to work)."

Also, some of the printing, scannng and other devices that are still
perfectly good hardware units have 16 bit executables in them. It's nice
that QuickView will show a plain text page for executables, where the 16 or
32 bit info is clearly presented.

I feel MS is doing a disservice to their customers by not including some
means to run 16 bit programs. When the 64 bit XP is introduced, will there
still be 32 bit XP OS available? I may well decide to stay with 32 bit XP
for my next system, and hope that by the time I'm ready for the system after
that, the smoke will have settled down. Also when the new 64 bit XP does
come out, there won't be much software (if any, for the masses) around that
can take advantage of it. But, 4 years from now that will have changed.

I also feel that once the 64 bit systems start hitting the consumer, there's
going to be much flak about lots of hardware and software no longer being
usable.

Ron

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Plato

Ron said:
I feel MS is doing a disservice to their customers by not including some
means to run 16 bit programs. When the 64 bit XP is introduced, will there

I disagree. One can always use an older OS and/or keep the older pc
around.

Actually, I've been surprised that MS has included support for so much
old stuff in its newer OSs. Their has to be a cut-off somewhere.

Plato

Rube said:
If you absolutely must use the older programs and a newer version of Windows
won't support it, then you may have to do what I have seen so many times
before: have a legacy stand-alone computer running an OS that will run the
app. To this day, I still see clients running DOS and their original
versions of a finite element analysis program or a mail list program that
they can't export from.

I still have customers with 286s and dos5 as that's what they need to
run some of their older machines at the factory. One 286 just runs this
old cast iron lable sewing machine that makes the labels you find in the
neck of your shirts. Has this nice menu for color, font, size etc. No
mouse :)

The OS and app both fit on a 5 1/4