333 mhz AMD w/ 128 mb RAM enough for XP?

J

Jose

I have a firend that has an AMD 333, 320MB and Windows XP
runs but works, even photoshop. I recomend to install more
memory.

G

Hi, there

your 333 mhz AMD is a piece of shit, bout you can browse the web with it and have a good wank

RaM bO

G

You're getting a lot of terrible advice on here.

I run WindowsXP and OfficeXP on a P2 333 with 192 and a P2 300 with 128.

Both run far better than 'fine'. One of the XPSP1 installations is under 500mb. Just turn off everything you don't need.

W

wojo

I'd have to disagree with you there.
500mb. Just turn off everything you don't need.
"better than fine" until you see how XP is supposed to run on a more
up-to-date system.

It will run adequately on the setup outlined as long as your not running
much in the way of TSR's, basically nothing in your taskbar, minimum cache
settings, no special XP bells and whistles or "eye candy" as Rick said, and
multitasking could get very interesting results.

G

I have Windows XP Pro running on an AMD K2 300MHz with 128MB RAM and a 10GB Hard Drive with Office XP on it. It runs fine. It is no P4 but it is better than having Win2K on it. Also, if you set the performance settings to "adjust for best performance" it runs even better. To do this, go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Setting button under Performance.

G

Lurker, I ran XP on a 233mhz IBM thinkpad with only 64mb ram. and a 5g hd. it ran, I turned off all the goodies, and it ran. However peeps are right that system was designed around the 98 scheme. I was in the same boat I wanted to run better stuff, but 98 wouldnt do it, I went to ME. It fit right in between xp and 98 and runz damn good on this old machine. the only issue i seem to have is if i want to use LAN then i make sure the PCMCIA card in not in them machine,.. boot it up and then plug the card in. then I get an IP. thats the only issue i have.

G

hi
i yesterday started an installation on an pII233 and pII266. it is running without problems. i have 256mb ram. you must tune a little bit the settings for best performance, fix the pagefile to doublem ram.
have fu
alex

G

Sure, you could run it, but don't forget to disable unnecessary Windows services (from Administrative Tools) to free up some memory, and only allow those "startup programs" that are absolutely necessary (e.g., disable RealPlayer's StartCenter). There used to be a good resource at http://www.blkviper.com/ about it, but the site seems to be [temporarily?] down at present. Plenty of companies depend upon the documents originally by Black Viper as THE authority on Windows services. Hope this helps!

Ask a Question