2nd Hard Drive problem

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
I have 2 hard drives, one is a 40GB which contains the OS, and the other is a 500GB and contains my documents which weigh a heavy 177GB. Now the problem is, when I try to access my documents and other resources on the 500GB disk, the system locks up as the hard drive keeps spinning down and instantly powering up again. It does this for about 3 mins and then the screen goes blank. It's a "SATA II Samsung HD501LJ".
Please HELP!!! I don't have a backup drive so I cannot back up my documents!

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
No, it just locks up. This means no response to mouse and screen then goes blank. When the screen goes blank, the hard drive stays on and stops shutting down. Disk activity light goes out.

Reaction score
Have you tried installing it in another PC as a secondary drive..? Try this and see what happens...Also start your computer up in safe mode and see if you have the same problem then..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can you please look in Event viewer and list the errors that are present.... thx.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Hard drive faulty proved!

What can I do? :( after testing the hard drive in another fully working computer and it still cuts out! What can I do now?! I don't have a drive big enough to back up my documents! :wall: :(

Reaction score
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
What can I do? :( after testing the hard drive in another fully working computer and it still cuts out! What can I do now?! I don't have a drive big enough to back up my documents!
wallbash.gif
:(

You could always go buy a new one, PC World do external drives for as little as £60 or do a little looking around on the net and see what else you can find..maplins also do cheap drives...

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
PC Word are 100% genuine ripoffs. External drives suck too. My only option is to find a cheap (Under £50) INTERNAL 500GB SATA II Hard drive which isn't a Samsung.

Reaction score
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
PC Word are 100% genuine ripoffs. External drives suck too. My only option is to find a cheap (Under £50) INTERNAL 500GB SATA II Hard drive which isn't a Samsung.

Probably best to keep remarks like that to yourself..As for external HDD's sucking, thats a matter of opinion, and ifyou know what yer only option is, then why ask for help when you know the answer..??

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Probably best to keep remarks like that to yourself..As for external HDD's sucking, thats a matter of opinion, and ifyou know what yer only option is, then why ask for help when you know the answer..??
What I would appreciate help on is finding a 500GB internal SATA II drive NOT SAMSUNG under £50.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Are we sure this hard drive is failing then? It doesn't always power down and back up, it's only when accessing documents. Running programs installed on the drive is fine as to is opening documents.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think that the click sound when it powers off and on is a small relay opening and closing so the electronics in the drive might be broke, as it does it in another PC i tested it on.

Reaction score
NOTE - Alot of Mainboards don't fully support 3Gb/s and so the drive may need to be updated to use 1.5Gb/s

Download SSpeed_iso.zip from here;

http://www.samsung.com/global/busi [...] orderNum=2

(You will need to burn it to CD)

It will test the drive for compliancy with your computer and give you the option to make it 1.5Gb/s.

Hope it helps you.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
JaLing said:
NOTE - Alot of Mainboards don't fully support 3Gb/s and so the drive may need to be updated to use 1.5Gb/s

Download SSpeed_iso.zip from here;

http://www.samsung.com/global/busi [...] orderNum=2

(You will need to burn it to CD)

It will test the drive for compliancy with your computer and give you the option to make it 1.5Gb/s.

Hope it helps you.
My motherboard fully supports 3GB SATA after looking on the box.
Anyway, turns out the problem were A LOT of bad sectors, CHKDSK found thousands (AND I MEAN THOUSANDS :eek: ) of errors and back sectors and indexes. After disk check was complete, the disk is back to normal now. Thanks for all your help.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Oh no PROBLEM AGAIN!!!!! :mad:

Starting to do it randomly-occasionally.
I really don't want to buy a new drive! What can I do?
wallbash.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Your drive is on its way out - there is no alternative apart from getting a new one...how long have you had it as it may still be under warranty?

I suggest you disconnect it immediately and stop powering it up, then go get another and try to copy them over before it goes completely.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Adywebb - I've only had it for a year!!!! I can't believe that it is breaking already, JUST AS THE WARRENTY EXPIRED!!!!! :mad: :mad:
wallbash.gif

Ask a Question