16-bit Windows Subsystem:

Discussion in 'Windows XP Basics' started by Me2Ewe, Aug 17, 2005.

  1. Me2Ewe

    Me2Ewe Guest

    Can someone tell me what this error message means it pops up sometimes when
    I try to install something

    16-bit Windows Subsystem:

    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll.

    An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll Initialization.

    Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

    Close Ignore

    I am running XP Pro
    Thanks for any help
    Bruce

    Me2Ewe, Aug 17, 2005

  2. Me2Ewe

    Malke Guest

    Me2Ewe wrote:

    > Can someone tell me what this error message means it pops up sometimes
    > when I try to install something
    >

    > 16-bit Windows Subsystem:
    >
    > C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll.
    >
    > An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll Initialization.
    >
    > Choose 'Close' to terminate the application
    >
    > Close Ignore

    AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you have WinXP SP2
    installed:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=

    The post is worth reading, but here's the relevant bit for you:

    "What AVAST's brain-dead installation script seems to do is to
    APPEND a line to the Win-XP system-file ...\system32\CONFIG.NT
    which reads:
    device=C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\aswmonds.sys

    "When I COMMENT OUT this new line, then my 16-bit apps start
    working again immediately. (No reboot is even needed.)"

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Aug 17, 2005

  3. Me2Ewe

    Me2Ewe Guest

    I don't have any Avast installed, I unstalled it a year ago.
    It must be hidden somewhere maybe

    Me2Ewe, Aug 17, 2005
  4. Me2Ewe

    Malke Guest

    Me2Ewe wrote:

    > I don't have any Avast installed, I unstalled it a year ago.
    > It must be hidden somewhere maybe

    The error message you quoted references Avast. Do what the forum poster
    suggested and comment out the line in config.nt.

    Malke, Aug 17, 2005
  5. Me2Ewe

    Me2Ewe Guest

    I cant find config.nt or how to comment it out.
    I searched all my drives for Alwil; Alwil Software; Avast; Avast4; aswMonVd;
    aswMonVd.dll; config.nt
    I cant find anything I also have Windows 2000 and 2003 server on my system
    could they be hidden in there somewhere?
    Do I have to comment out all drives too? I have 7 Partitions with the
    following on them:
    C: XP Pro; D: Important Files; E: Windows 2000; F: Backups; G: Drivers &
    Downloads; H: 2003 Server; I: Linux Stuff
    Could the problem be in other drives? Now I am really lost
    Thanks for helping
    Bruce

    Me2Ewe, Aug 17, 2005
  6. Me2Ewe

    Malke Guest

    Me2Ewe wrote:

    > I cant find config.nt or how to comment it out.
    > I searched all my drives for Alwil; Alwil Software; Avast; Avast4;
    > aswMonVd; aswMonVd.dll; config.nt
    > I cant find anything I also have Windows 2000 and 2003 server on my
    > system could they be hidden in there somewhere?
    > Do I have to comment out all drives too? I have 7 Partitions with the
    > following on them:
    > C: XP Pro; D: Important Files; E: Windows 2000; F: Backups; G: Drivers
    > & Downloads; H: 2003 Server; I: Linux Stuff
    > Could the problem be in other drives? Now I am really lost
    > Thanks for helping
    > Bruce

    You're making this all far harder than it needs to be. Using the Folder
    Options applet in Control Panel, make sure all hidden files/extensions
    are visible. Then go to C:\Windows\System32 and find config.nt. Right
    click on it and open it with Notepad. Make the changes suggested by the
    poster on the forum I gave you and Save the file. That should do it.

    If you are uncomfortable hand-editing a config file (and I don't see how
    you could be if you are running Linux), then go to C:\Windows\Repair
    and copy autoexec.nt and config.nt from that folder into the System32
    folder. Overwrite the ones that are in System32 now.

    Malke

    Malke, Aug 18, 2005