Windows XP 1 drive not found. Serial ATA, SATA 2.

Reaction score
When I start my computer I get a message stating: 1 drive not found. Serial ATA, SATA 2. I am directed to hit F1 to continue or F2 to investigate the problem. I can't seem to remedy this. Any ideas?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
How many hard drives are in your machine?

Can you see all of them in the bios?

Can you, within your operating system (presumably Windows) access all known hard disks?

This is very likely a BIOS setting needs changing.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
several reasons may be the cause

1. New hardware has been recently installed.
2. Error or confliction with settings in CMOS.
3. CMOS battery is bad or failing

If new hardware has been recently installed into the computer, it is likely that you are receiving the prompt "Press F1 or F2 to enter setup" because CMOS needs to verify that the new detected hardware is properly being setup in CMOS. Enter CMOS setup and save the settings and exit.

If no new hardware has been added or you continue to get this prompt verify no error or conflictions exist in CMOS. Press the key to enter setup and verify that all settings are correct.

If your time and date are not set correctly, your battery is more than likely bad. Try setting the correct time and date, save the settings and then reboot. If after turning off the computer the time and date get reset again replace the battery.

If the time and date are correct and everything else appears to be correct try resetting the CMOS values to the defaults.

If you continue to receive the prompt to enter setup each time the computer boots up and you have attempted to follow the above suggestions, your CMOS battery is probably bad. Replace it.

HTH :)

ah, SATA drive ... turn off PC, open case, check cable hasn't fallen off or become loose ... several of us here have had that happen and now use a hot-glue-gun :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question