Yahoo News Errors on Page...

Microsoft.com

I have two computers, one with all the new stuff loaded from windows update
for XP Pro. the other has XP pro sp. 1 nothing more.

The new yahoo news site looks perfect on the computer with only xp 1. The
Yahoo news site looks like something went wrong on the xp sp2 with all
latest service packs. for instance, instead of the nice tool bar for all
navigation, I get this:

Primary Navigation
a.. News Home
b.. U.S.
c.. Business
d.. World
e.. Entertainment
f.. Sports
g.. Tech
h.. Politics
i.. Science
j.. Health
k.. Most Popular
l.. Index
Secondary Navigation
a.. Photos
b.. Opinion
c.. Local News
d.. Odd News
e.. Comics
f.. Weather
g.. Full Coverage
h.. Audio/Video
Primary Navigation
a.. News Home
b.. U.S.
c.. Business
d.. World
e.. Entertainment
f.. Sports
g.. Tech
h.. Politics
i.. Science
j.. Health
k.. Most Popular
l.. Index
Secondary Navigation
a.. Photos
b.. Opinion
c.. Local News
d.. Odd News
e.. Comics
f.. Weather
g.. Full Coverage
h.. Audio/Video
What could be wrong? I get a message "Error on page" in the status bar,
with a bunch of things "object expected" in the details...

Is this my problem or Yahoo's problem?

thanks!

DS

Don Varnau

Hi,
Good description, but I wish I could see a screenshot. ;-)
This sounds like a Javascript problem.

Some steps to try:
Go to Internet Options> Security> Internet Zone, set it to Default.

Clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete
files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often
recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

Try these two commands from Start> Run> cmd [enter]
regsvr32 vbscript.dll [enter]
regsvr32 jscript.dll [enter]

Refresh the scripting engine. Go to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
for the appropriate download of Windows Script 5.6.

Check any third-party security programs to see if one of them is blocking
scripts, scripting, active content. With XP SP2, go to IE> Tools> Manage
add-ons. Disable add-ons to see if one of them is causing the problem.

See additional possibilities at http://www.fjsmjs.com/IE/scriptdb.htm
including the possibility that malware is causing this.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Don Varnau

The screenshot clarifies things. It still feels like a Javascript problem.
Did you run through all steps at http://www.fjsmjs.com/IE/scriptdb.htm ?
Such as re-register all DLLs listed in
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Does the problem still occur if Trend Micro is disabled?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Microsoft.com" <stupified[at]unknown.com> wrote in message
I did everything in the articles...

Nothing fixed the problems.

This is a fresh install of XP, no malware, just the basics, plus Office
2003, Trend Micro Security, and Adobe.

Trend Micro is running on both machines.

Attached is a screenshot.

Thanks

DS

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Did everything yet the problem persists.

The following is the first 33 lines of code, the last line is the first
error...

is toggleinit() a Javascript command, or is it a function that has forgotten
to be defined?

DS

<head>
<title>Yahoo! News Home Page</title>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/common/lsmfonts20040826.css" />
url("http://us.i1.yimg.com/news.yahoo.com/v10/us/news/css/ynews.css?v=1114807483");
--></style>
function openSS(theURL) {
windowHandle = window.open(theURL, 'ss',
'toolbar=no,location=yes,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=no,width=740,height=565');
if (!windowHandle) { windowHandle.opener = self; }
windowHandle.focus();
}
function goBackTo(theURL) {
if (self.opener) {
self.opener.location.href=theURL;
self.close();
}
else {
window.location.href=theURL;
}
}
</script>
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Yahoo! News - Top
Stories" href="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories" />
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"
src="http://us.i1.yimg.com/news.yahoo.com/v10/us/news/includes/common.js?v=1114807483"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"
src="http://us.js1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/g/util/yg_cookie_1_2.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"
src="http://us.i1.yimg.com/news.yahoo.com/v10/us/news/includes/yntoggle.js?v=1114807483"></script>
</head>

Don Varnau

Re:
is toggleinit() a Javascript command, or is it a function that has forgotten
to be defined?

Sorry, I don't know. I would probably, next, uninstall SP2 then reinstall
IE6. But, I've invited others to take a look at this thread.

318378 - How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in
Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=318378
875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;875350

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

114807483"> said:
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"
src="http://us.js1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/g/util/yg_cookie_1_2.js"></scrip
t>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"
src="http://us.i1.yimg.com/news.yahoo.com/v10/us/news/includes/yntoggle.js?v

Sandi - Microsoft MVP

Visiting the thread at Don's request <waving to Don>

Can you check tools, internet options, accessibility. Make sure that a style
sheet is not already in use that may be overruling the style sheets in use
at Yahoo.

I'd be interested to hear if you have display issues at this site, which
also depends on CSS:
http://msmvps.com/spywaresucks/

The only other thing that sticks out is that the site is using UTF-8
encoding. Please go to view, encoding within IE and make sure 'auto select'
is not enabled. Try setting to Western European (Windows).

Hyperlinks used to ensure advice is current
Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org

Visit the Internet Explorer Community
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/default.mspx

Microsoft.com

As far as I know, your site looks correct...

Sandi - Microsoft MVP said:
Visiting the thread at Don's request <waving to Don>

Can you check tools, internet options, accessibility. Make sure that a
style sheet is not already in use that may be overruling the style sheets
in use at Yahoo.

I'd be interested to hear if you have display issues at this site, which
also depends on CSS:
http://msmvps.com/spywaresucks/

The only other thing that sticks out is that the site is using UTF-8
encoding. Please go to view, encoding within IE and make sure 'auto
select' is not enabled. Try setting to Western European (Windows).

Hyperlinks used to ensure advice is current
Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org

Visit the Internet Explorer Community
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/default.mspx

Microsoft.com

HA ha.. .Ok, here is where I get in trouble...

I CANNOT uninstall sp2.

Last week I did a fresh install of my system, but before I did, I
slip-streamed my XP CD With SP2, creating a XP install that included SP2 -
in hopes of saving time...

(used this url:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp )

Ok, so the question is, do I have to re-install all of my system and see if
this problem is re-created from a normal install?

Here is another question: The site looks the same screwed up way on my
Pocket PC...

So before I do all of this, I am still thinking, "Maybe this is Yahoo's
problem"...

But, I am assuming you have all the latest XP stuff and Office installed on
your machine, and it looks correct to you, right?

Looks like a complete system rebuild?

Derek

Re:

114807483"> said:
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"
src="http://us.js1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/g/util/yg_cookie_1_2.js"></scrip
t>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"
src="http://us.i1.yimg.com/news.yahoo.com/v10/us/news/includes/yntoggle.js?v
=1114807483"> said:
</head>

Robert Aldwinckle

Attached is a screenshot.

< http://news.yahoo.com/ >

Clearly the site wants you to see that instead of what you are used
to seeing.

So, one obvious explanation would be that they think that your browser
is something other than what you believe it is. And the most common
cause for that is incorrect or mangled or misinterpreted User-Agent
information.

Here is an excerpt from a previous post for how you could check that:

why do Microsoft sites think I'm running Windows 2000 when I'm not?

This could be a question of User-Agent--what is IE sending
with its requests and what is being received.

(extract from a recent reply concerning a similar symptom)

I suspect it is not your browser which is telling you that but the
application your browser is connecting to. The thing that you have
to think about then is what might be between your browser and the
application. You mention some kind of security package. Can it
intercept the requests that your browser makes and modify them?
Specifically can it make changes to the User-Agent string that each
request contains? If so, that could explain your symptom.

It's pretty simple to test this idea by comparing the User-Agent string
which should be sent with the User-Agent string which is received.
For example, here are some suggestions I recently gave a user who
had two different machines to use for comparison.

<excerpt>
What do you see if you enter this in an IE Address bar on each?

javascript:navigator.userAgent

(the property name is case sensitive; so notice that uppercase A.)

However, what is more important about the User-Agent string
is whether it reaches its destination. Some network security products
may modify it; so it is also useful to compare what a remote site claims
to actually see, with what the above IE window showed you.

Steve Gibson's ShieldsUP! site has one such remote service.

< http://grc.com/default.htm >

(Choose Browser Headers once you allow it to Proceed.)

Another site which you could use for comparing browser functionality is:

< http://www.gemal.dk/browserspy/ >

Post back your detailed observations if you need more help.
</excerpt>

BTW the last time I made this suggestion it *was* a case of a bad
override in the registry but it was in a different branch from where
you are looking. This was from the above XP user whose requests
were erroneously being interpreted as being from a W2K machine.

directions on that site and found a "Platform" string
in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentV
ersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent" that had the
5.01 in it. I changed it to 5.1 and now the Windows
Update Version 5 site comes up. Thanks again! :)
</example>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle

Robert Aldwinckle

Checked everything, everything looks correct.

Another possibility would be if you tried to use their customize feature
and it is broken. I don't see exactly how one gets a "reset" from that
but assuming that that facility exists it could be a way for you to get
a different (e.g. fixed) version of the page.

Also, have you been experimenting with their RSS feeds at all?

Robert
---

Microsoft.com

**Sigh**...

Tired of messing arround. Could have reinstalled entire system by now.

Doing a fresh install, not slipstream this time.

DS

Don Varnau

Hi,
Sorry that we couldn't help.
FWIW (doesn't point to a solution) I saw the version of news.yahoo.com that
you were seeing when I visited with a 3 year old version of the Off by One
browser. That browser has no Javascript support. I don't know how well Off
by One handles CSS.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Microsoft.com said:
**Sigh**...

Tired of messing arround. Could have reinstalled entire system by now.

Doing a fresh install, not slipstream this time.

DS
[snip]

DS

ok, that may be on to something...

I reinstalled XP straight and the problem was still there.

What is the "preferred" javascript?

does something come in Xp Sp 2 or, should I install the msvm, or should I
download something from java.com...

What are you using?

Thanks

Derek

Microsoft.com said:
**Sigh**...

Tired of messing arround. Could have reinstalled entire system by now.

Doing a fresh install, not slipstream this time.

DS
[snip]

microsoft.com

Strange...

Reinstalled XP
Still a problem

Installed all updates
still a problem

Installed java from java.com
still a probelm

Installed ms virtual machine
still a problem

How can this work on 1 computer and not on another?

DS

Robert Aldwinckle

Perhaps you should let us have a look at the diagnostics you are getting?

Also, my example mentioned the other user's security package.
Do you have any intervening products (firewall, proxy, etc.) which
could interfere with the User-Agent header?

HTH

Robert
---

Don Varnau

Thanks Sandi,
Good ideas.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Sandi - Microsoft MVP said:
Visiting the thread at Don's request <waving to Don>

Can you check tools, internet options, accessibility. Make sure that a style
sheet is not already in use that may be overruling the style sheets in use
at Yahoo.

I'd be interested to hear if you have display issues at this site, which
also depends on CSS:
http://msmvps.com/spywaresucks/

The only other thing that sticks out is that the site is using UTF-8
encoding. Please go to view, encoding within IE and make sure 'auto select'
is not enabled. Try setting to Western European (Windows).
[snip]

Don Varnau

Hi DS,
Someone pointed out to me that your "false" e-mail addresses are real domain
names (goodbye.com and unknown.com) and you're exposing their addresses to
the spambots. But, we can be sure that this is not the first time those
names have been used. ;-) You might try invalid.com.

Regarding ordinary Javascript on webpages... that's handled by JScript and
other components of Windows Script (5.6) MS-VM or Sun Java JRE would be
needed for things like online games, chat, etc.

Back to the problem. I really like Robert's ideas regarding the UserAgent
information that's being sent out. Do you have *any* security/privacy
programs running on this machine that might be changing/blocking that
information? Zone Alarm or another firewall, WebWasher, pop-up blockers?

When you reinstalled XP, was it a "clean" reinstall? It might be worth a try
to delete the Temporary Internet Files folder (
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm ) and delete all Yahoo cookies.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

microsoft.com

Here is the issue..

I am in Asia, and the domain which is hosting their CSS is unavailable to us
out here. As a result, the CSS fails and we get sloppy webpages.

interestingly enough, the dailynews.yahoo.com uses directory based
addressing for CSS, not full domain name addressing, and as a result
dailynews.yahoo.com works perfectly...

So the two seemingly identical websites operate differently... :)

So, the problem is the internet's and yahoo's. If they made all their CSS's
reside on the same server, if you got to their news site, you'd see
everything...

Clear?

No problem with MS XP.

DS

(now someone from invalid.com is going to complain too... :)

Don Varnau said:
[...]

microsoft.com said:
News.yahoo.com
doesnt work