XP's Boot File

I have a XP Setup CD with no boot file. The problem is that everytime I
installed XP I have to install it in another system. I have found the boot
file that is used for floopy booting of the text setup screen, but I don't
know how to combine these file with the CD to let's it boot by itself. I
tried to combine like the Windows 2000 CD, but it doen't work. Could anyone
tell me how to combine the boot file with my original CD?

Will Denny

Hi

Haven't you got a boot.ini file in the root folder? If not, see if there is
a boo.bak file and rename that to boot.ini, then reboot your system.

Will Denny

That should read

If not, see if there is boot.bak file and rename it to boot.ini. Sorry.

Wesley Vogel

One more time, Will. ;-)

boot.ini.backup

in

%systemroot%\pss

or

C:\WINDOWS\pss

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Will Denny

Hi Wes

I've got a boot.bak file in the root folder here. Just need to rename it to
boot.ini and reboot.

Wesley Vogel

Hi Will,

Do you have a C:\WINDOWS\pss folder?

And does it have these?
boot.ini.backup
system.ini.backup
win.ini.backup

As near as I can tell, C:\WINDOWS\pss and the files were created the last
time I installed XP.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Will Denny

Hi Wes

Yes, I've got the pss folder, but the boot.ini.backup file is dated
yesterday - not when I last installed XP.

Wesley Vogel

Hi Will,

Hmm.

That blew my theory on what created the backups and when they were created.

I am starting to learn that it's better not to reveal my theories until they
pan out. ;-)

Thanks.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

I think you guys misunderstood my points there. I don't have trouble booting
up my Windows XP System. What I need is to boot up The setup program from
the moment I reboot my system. There is a tool on the Microsoft Website
that create this booting process by using 6 floppy, but I would like these
file to be copied to my XP Setup Disk because my Setup disk cannot boot
itself. So the problem is i would like to boot the setup program from my CD,
not from 6 floppy. I am just an average user so please limit professional
detail. Please reply.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Wesley,
I would like to know what creates that folder and what stores those files
there. It doesn't happen automatically from the OS.
I don't have that folder on any of my systems.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Wesley Vogel" <[email protected]>
<Subject: Re: XP's Boot File
<Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:09:27 -0600
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
<Hi Will,
<
<Hmm.
<
<That blew my theory on what created the backups and when they were created.
<
<I am starting to learn that it's better not to reveal my theories until
they
<pan out. ;-)
<
<Thanks.
<
<--
<Hope this helps. Let us know.
<
<Wes
<MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
<
<In <Will Denny <[email protected]> hunted and pecked:
<> Hi Wes
<>
<> Yes, I've got the pss folder, but the boot.ini.backup file is dated
<> yesterday - not when I last installed XP.
<>
<> --
<>
<> Will Denny
<> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
<> Please reply to the News Groups
<>
<>
<> <>> Hi Will,
<>>
<>> Do you have a C:\WINDOWS\pss folder?
<>>
<>> And does it have these?
<>> boot.ini.backup
<>> system.ini.backup
<>> win.ini.backup
<>>
<>> As near as I can tell, C:\WINDOWS\pss and the files were created the
last
<>> time I installed XP.
<>>
<>> --
<>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
<>>
<>> Wes
<>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
<>>
<>> In <>> Will Denny <[email protected]> hunted and pecked:
<>>> Hi Wes
<>>>
<>>> I've got a boot.bak file in the root folder here. Just need to rename
<>>> it to boot.ini and reboot.
<>>>
<>>> --
<>>>
<>>> Will Denny
<>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
<>>> Please reply to the News Groups
<>>>
<>>>
<>>> <>>>> One more time, Will. ;-)
<>>>>
<>>>> boot.ini.backup
<>>>>
<>>>> in
<>>>>
<>>>> %systemroot%\pss
<>>>>
<>>>> or
<>>>>
<>>>> C:\WINDOWS\pss
<>>>>
<>>>> --
<>>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
<>>>>
<>>>> Wes
<>>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
<>>>>
<>>>> In <>>>> Will Denny <[email protected]> hunted and pecked:
<>>>>> That should read
<>>>>>
<>>>>> If not, see if there is boot.bak file and rename it to boot.ini.
<>>>>> Sorry.
<>>>>>
<>>>>> --
<>>>>>
<>>>>> Will Denny
<>>>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
<>>>>> Please reply to the News Groups
<>>>>>
<>>>>>
<>>>>> <>>>>>> Hi
<>>>>>>
<>>>>>> Haven't you got a boot.ini file in the root folder? If not, see if
<>>>>>> there
<>>>>>> is a boo.bak file and rename that to boot.ini, then reboot your
<>>>>>> system.
<>>>>>>
<>>>>>> --
<>>>>>>
[...]
<>>>>>>> --
<>>>>>>> I reject to reality and substitute my own.
<
<

Wesley Vogel

Darrell,

Beats me what creates C:\WINDOWS\pss.

C:\WINDOWS\pss isn't a System folder. In fact, it has *no* attributes.

My C:\WINDOWS folder was created: Wednesday, 18 February, 2004, 2:56:46 AM

My C:\WINDOWS\pss folder was created: Wednesday, 18 February, 2004, 10:58:01
AM

boot.ini.backup ceated: Wednesday, 18 February, 2004, 10:58:22 AM

system.ini.backup created: Wednesday, 18 February, 2004, 10:58:01 AM

win.ini.backup created: Wednesday, 18 February, 2004, 10:58:01 AM

I don't know what I was doing on 15 Feb 2005, let alone 2004. Except for
the evidence left on this machine. ;-)

Searches on ...
http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?view=en-us&st=b&na=82&qu=WINDOWS\pss&s=6

http://support.microsoft.com/search...t=false&query=\WINDOWS\pss&srch=sup&x=10&y=10

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?qu=WINDOWS\pss&View=msdn&st=b&c=4&s=1&swc=4

Bring back diddly.
-----

Help yourself...

C:\WINDOWS\pss search...
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q= "C:\WINDOWS\pss"&hl=en&lr=lang_en&sa=N&as_qdr=all&tab=wg

C:\WINDOWS\pss search...
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&...s_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In
Darrell Gorter said:
Hello Wesley,
I would like to know what creates that folder and what stores those files
there. It doesn't happen automatically from the OS.
I don't have that folder on any of my systems.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Wesley Vogel" <[email protected]>
<Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:09:27 -0600