XPe on DELL PowerEdge 1750 Server

G

Hi

We'd like to put XPe on DELL PowerEdge 1750 Server. Ususally, it seems we should install Windows 2000 Server / Windows 2003 Server on it, but I just wonder if it's possible to install XPe on it and we'll probably use Remote Boot Manager to transfer XPe image to DELL PowerEdge 1750 Server. Certainly, we have another server machine installed Windows 2000 Server and keep XPe image on it

My question is: Is it possible to run XPe on DELL PowerEdge 1750 Server machine

Thanks in advance

Bin

K

KM

Hi Bin,

I am not sure what is the purpose of the question?
Yes, you may likely be able to create an XPe image that will run on the Dell server hardware. It is pretty "standard" and many Dell
hardware drivers are in the XPe database so you may not expect much incompatibilities and manual work needed.

However, why do you need XPe image running on server? Not mentioning all the server apps you won't be able to run on the server then
because of some technical and most likely legal issues, you may even have problems running RBS on it.
Even if you run RBS without problems, where do you get TFTP and DHCP servers? They are not in XPe Repository for obvious reasons.
Ok, the DHCP server may be on a separate machine (again, you need either a Windows server machine in house or something linux
based). But as far as I can remember, TFTP has to run on the same machine as RBS. You may, however, end up componentizing some third
party solutions for TFTP and DHCP servers.

Anyway... it all seems like much work compared to installing a server on the Dell machine. On just money saving on the server
license? Then XP Pro/XPe wouldn't be a good choice for that.
--
KM,
BSquare Corporation
Hi,

We'd like to put XPe on DELL PowerEdge 1750 Server. Ususally, it seems we should install Windows 2000 Server / Windows 2003 Server
on it, but I just wonder if it's possible to install XPe on it and we'll probably use Remote Boot Manager to transfer XPe image to
DELL PowerEdge 1750 Server. Certainly, we have another server machine installed Windows 2000 Server and keep XPe image on it.

G

Hi KM
Maybe I didn't mentioned clearly. What we want to do is to use a server hardware machine as a client machine because we need a powerful client machine
Thank you so much for your reply, I guess I've got the information I needed

Bin

Ask a Question