XP & Vista to 2000


I

Information

Due to budget limitations, I am working with the following:

We have a Win2000 workstation (SP4) that houses a database program to be
accessed through a shared folder to the remainder of our stations.

Station 1 is an XP Home box (SP3), Station 2 is a Vista laptop (SP1). XP
and Vista can see each other, but only the XP box has a printer shared.
Vista can see that, and a temporary shared test folder, We removed the
folder share after seeing it worked.

Neither can access the shared folder on the 2000 box. Both XP and Vista
firewalls are disabled, there is no Norton or McAfee installed, only AVG. I
have added the user/passwords to the user list on the 2000 machine, and have
added permissions for the XP and Vista users.

The 2000 machine needs to be visible, then sharing the program can happen
and this project is finished. I have another 2000 box at another location
working just fine with XP, and cannot determine what is different here.

XP & Vista both report Network Path Not Found.

Any insight is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Dan
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

Dave Patrick

Can you ping the machine by name? by IP address? Are they part of the same
workgroup? From a command prompt;

ipconfig /all

on both may reveal something.



--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect
 
I

Information

We can ping, and have installed IPX/SPX on the XP box and can now see the
2000.

Problem is the IPX/SPX on the vista.

Thoughts on that or the way of opening the 2000 box? Message on the Vista
is still Network not found.

Systems are all part of the same workgroup and have different computer
names.


Dave Patrick said:
Can you ping the machine by name? by IP address? Are they part of the same
workgroup? From a command prompt;

ipconfig /all

on both may reveal something.



--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


Information said:
Due to budget limitations, I am working with the following:

We have a Win2000 workstation (SP4) that houses a database program to be
accessed through a shared folder to the remainder of our stations.

Station 1 is an XP Home box (SP3), Station 2 is a Vista laptop (SP1). XP
and Vista can see each other, but only the XP box has a printer shared.
Vista can see that, and a temporary shared test folder, We removed the
folder share after seeing it worked.

Neither can access the shared folder on the 2000 box. Both XP and Vista
firewalls are disabled, there is no Norton or McAfee installed, only AVG.
I
have added the user/passwords to the user list on the 2000 machine, and
have
added permissions for the XP and Vista users.

The 2000 machine needs to be visible, then sharing the program can happen
and this project is finished. I have another 2000 box at another
location
working just fine with XP, and cannot determine what is different here.

XP & Vista both report Network Path Not Found.

Any insight is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Dan
 
D

Dave Patrick

I'd use TCP/IP as the only bound protocol. Set the addresses static
something like 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3 subnet mask
255.255.255.0 leave gateway blank.


--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect
 
I

Information

Addresses are currently assigned by DHCP through the dLink router. All have
internet access, but only the Vista cannot see the XP at this point.


Dave Patrick said:
I'd use TCP/IP as the only bound protocol. Set the addresses static
something like 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3 subnet mask
255.255.255.0 leave gateway blank.


--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


Information said:
We can ping, and have installed IPX/SPX on the XP box and can now see the
2000.

Problem is the IPX/SPX on the vista.

Thoughts on that or the way of opening the 2000 box? Message on the
Vista is still Network not found.

Systems are all part of the same workgroup and have different computer
names.
 
I

Information

I mean Vista cannot access the 2000, still get a Network not found. We see
the system, just not the resources.



Information said:
Addresses are currently assigned by DHCP through the dLink router. All
have internet access, but only the Vista cannot see the XP at this point.


Dave Patrick said:
I'd use TCP/IP as the only bound protocol. Set the addresses static
something like 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3 subnet mask
255.255.255.0 leave gateway blank.


--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


Information said:
We can ping, and have installed IPX/SPX on the XP box and can now see
the 2000.

Problem is the IPX/SPX on the vista.

Thoughts on that or the way of opening the 2000 box? Message on the
Vista is still Network not found.

Systems are all part of the same workgroup and have different computer
names.
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

Dave Patrick

You'll need to get the protocols issue straightened out as a first step,
then set the static addresses at least until things are working.


--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top