Xp Virus, Cant System Restore Help!!!!!!

Reaction score
I have a very annoying virus on my p.c where pop ups advertising crap, and fake antivirs. Im getting loads of small icons in the bottom right as well. My pc is on xp and i tried to system restore but noticed the tab was missing. I also tried the more complex routes but the message. system restore has been turned off by group policy. pLEASE CONTACT your domain adminitrator which is me. I looked online and people have said to go on run and type in things but it is either blocked or protected by the virus, all hep would be much aprecciated and hopefully you can save me paying 80 quid for the it guy to come round, thanks alot!
joe

Reaction score
I would suggest backing up any data you need to a cd or dvd and then reinstall everything again. If you are not sure how to do this then post on here and someone will help you.

Reaction score
ok thanks, the only problem is is that i have some desgin software worth around 45quid on my pc which locks to the pc so you cant uninstall it, i do have an external hard drive, and my xp disc so any more advice?!

Reaction score
and muckshifter does the method you suggested mean that i need to remove everything i want on to the external hard drive?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
yes, the HD with the operating system gets wiped clean ... or you could spend the dosh on "the guy" to come round.

:user:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
jsteele93 said:
ok thanks have you got any suggestions for preventing such problems in the future? thanks
Use a good anti-virus program, you DO have an AV program? don't let the kids use the PC, don't use any of the "social" diseases such as farcebook, don't click on links in emails or web pages ... etc etc ...

also, what is a reasonable amount to pay for a fix?
I've no idea, sorry, I never did house calls and when I was brought a PC to "fix" I intuitively wiped the HD anyway. :)

Reaction score
would it be worth doing in your opinion to put all the important files on a external hard drive, put xp back on to the disk, update the os, and loose the software and just try and get it again? also if i sold the disk with xp on would that then be infected or not?

Reaction score
and yeah i do have av one by ebuyer whic is run by pandasoftware but a previous virus stopped me from being able to register the product properly

Reaction score
jsteele93 said:
sorry one more thing, would wiping my hd wipe out the virus for definite?

Yes it will remove the viruses. Panda anti virus software is not the best software on the market for free software I recommend Anti Viur or Avast. For paid Nod32 or Kaspersky.

I would also recommend installing superanti spyware and malwarebytes as well so you have a good level of software installed to help protect your computer

I hope this helps.

Reaction score
ok like you said wizkid i probably would be able to wipe the hard drive with assistance but to be honest i wouldnt really be confident in doing so unless it was clear beforehand, would i loos my os or can i reinstall it?

Reaction score
jsteele93 said:
ok like you said wizkid i probably would be able to wipe the hard drive with assistance but to be honest i wouldnt really be confident in doing so unless it was clear beforehand, would i loos my os or can i reinstall it?

Yup you will loose your current installation of windows and your data so make sure that you back up any data you need. You can reinstall the OS using the OS disk make sure though that you have the product key to hand before formatting the computer.

Here is another guide on how to reinstall windows hope this helps.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Reaction score
ok that shows me how to reinstall xp but what do i need to do to uninstall xp and to wipe the hard drive of all its data?

Reaction score
jsteele93 said:
ok that shows me how to reinstall xp but what do i need to do to uninstall xp and to wipe the hard drive of all its data?

The guide shows how to remove the data of the drive and reinstall windows, you need to format the drive that has the OS on it then it will start reinstalling the OS.

Edit - have a look at this Youtube videos

Last edited:
Reaction score
so before i reform it i dont have to uninstall it back on to the disk? i was considering buying windows 7 so would that be easier, also would reformatting xp wipe everything from the hd or do i delete it all first?

Last edited:
Reaction score
jsteele93 said:
so before i reform it i dont have to uninstall it back on to the disk? i was considering buying windows 7 so would that be easier, also would reformatting xp wipe everything from the hd or do i delete it all first?

All you need to do is back up any data you want to keep, then insert the OS disk and perform the reinstall the operating system is on the disk so there is no need to back up the OS. Wiping the HDD will erase all data on the drive so there is no point in spending time removing data one bit at a time. If you decide to upgrade to Windows 7 then before you do I recommend downloading the upgrade advisor for windows 7 it will let you know what version is best for your pc and if there will be any problems. I can highly recommend Windows 7 I have been using it since it came out in Oct 2009 and I have not had a single problem with it. I know a lot of people on here as well are also using it and really like it.

Upgrade advisor http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

Reaction score
i have decided to spend a bit getting it fixed, afteral i will keep te software and the quote i got was around 40quid which is the price of the software any way. Howwever if i do get my virus fixed can i then easily install windows 7?

Ask a Question