Xp Profiles

Mike Brearley

Alexey Semenov said:
A little update on problem posted in Windows Profiles and Security.

As i said previously windows xp had created new profiles and no longer reads
and recognizes my original profiles. Those original profiles still located
in Documents and Settings.

This is what it looks like in Documents and Sttings

Alexey Semenov (original profile)
Administrator (original profile)

Administrator.Semenov (xp new profile) where semenov is a
computer name
Alexey Semenov2.Semenov (xp new profile) where semenov is a computer
name

I have changed the computer name to Alex and created a new profile
it sits and doc's and settings under

Alexey Semenov.Alex

So i assume computer recognizes those profiles based on computer name.
Judging by profile name original profiles are not under any computer name
and i can not leave computer name field blank, it has to be named.

Is there anyway to make xp recognize those old profiles, and log in using
those profiles? I am running XP professional with SP1

Thank u very much.

First, check your time.

Secondly, I think that you can simply copy the profile info from one profile
to another, then make sure to reset the permissions.

If you want the plain old Alexey Semenov back, move it to another folder,
say c:\. Then while logged in as administrator, delete the other profile
through the profile button from the system properties advanced tab. Delete
any non-essential profiles that aren't removed through this method manually.
Log back in as Alexey Semenov to create the profile, then log out and back
in as administrator. Now copy the backed up copy to the appropriate
directory and ensure you set the permissions accordingly.

There's probably an easier way to do this, maybe the Files and Settings
Transfer Wizard?

--
Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my

Mike Brearley

R. C. White

Hi, Alexey.

Your computer's time zone is still set to Redmond, Washington, USA time
(-0700 = 7 hours behind GMT).

From the header of your message:
From: "Alexey Semenov" <[email protected]>
Subject: Xp Profiles
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 23:46:23 -0700

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Alexey Semenov

[...]

Rene

Hi Alexey

If you are using WINXP SP1 then you maybe should change
the following Local Group Policy setting:
Computer Configuration\Administrative
Templates\System\User Profiles
change 'Do not check for user ownership of Roaming Profile
Folders'

Maybe these setting will help you.
Bye