Windows XP XP PRO Registers too much RAM!

Reaction score
First of all, hello to everyone.

I was given a computer which I intended to give to my brother. It works fine but has only 256MB RAM fitted and I intended to upgrade this to at least 750MB. The problem is that when I try to put a new stick in the POST registers the correct amount but Windows fails to boot giving me various error messages, file corrupt, missing system files and so on. It will only boot with 256MB RAM fitted!

System Info shows Total Physical Memory to be 4224 MB and Available Physical Memory 116MB? THe motherboard only supports up to 2GB, 2x1GB Sticks. How can it show Total Mem to be 4224 MB ???

When I call up Control Panel/System, only 256MB are shown which is correct. This is confusing me no end! Why can I not upgrade the RAM? I have tried 3 different sticks, 256, 512 and a 1GB, all are known to work but not in this system! Why does System Info show 4224 MB RAM? Any help would be appreicated, Thank you.

Here are a few details, I have attached a more detailed summary as a word Doc.

Win xp Pro SP3 Build Lab 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 256MB
SATA SAMSUNG SP1614C 160GB
Mainboard Jetway 865GFT Chipset Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P Revision A2

Attachments

• System Summary.doc
    99.5 KB · Views: 227

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Have you tried taking out the existing 256Mb stick and trying to boot with just the 1Gb (or other) single stick?

And do all sticks of memory you're trying run at the same speed?

Reaction score
Hi floppy, thanks for the quick response. Have removed the original 256 stick and used another 256, system boots fine. Have tried the 512 and 1GB on their own, system does not boot. It seems that the maximum it will allow is 256MB. I have 2 x 256MB, 1 x 512MB and 1 x 1GB the only config that works is 1 x 256MB, any other combination fails although POST counts the correct amount.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is the memory of the same voltage, type and speed? It may be worth updating the BIOS to see if that helps?

It looks like the Jetway BIOS download page is this one (http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/download/bios/index.htm), but I can't make heads nor tails of it. I think it's the one called "GFTA06.BIN" but you'll need to do some research on the BIOS version before doing that, as getting it wrong could make things much worse.

Reaction score
Hi Ian, apparently they are of the same type speed and voltage. The sticks that I have work on an MSI-6741 mainboard. I have checked with several memory retailers on the net and they are the same item number for both the Jetway 865 and the MSI-6741 board so I presume they are the same specs! Would I be wrong to assume that?
DRAM setting was set to SPD have changed it to default with no visable effect.

Have thought of the BIOS and have been to the Jetway site but as you say its confusing and as I am not comfortable with flashing the BIOS I am a bit wary! Tried to download a manual for the mainboard but all I get is "Link Broken".

Why does msinfo32 (System Info) show Total Physical Memory to be 4224 MB?

Last edited:

Ask a Question