XP Performance vs Win2k

G

I'm having a problem with Win XP Pro and I'm not sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated. Here are the details

I have a network with a Win2k3 server acting as the domain controller. I have a few Win2k clients and a few WinXP Pro clients. The XP machines and the Win2k machines are the exact same machines from the same manufacturer. All the machines are located in the same building as the domain controller and are all part of the same domain and are part of the same subnet

The WinXP machines take 'forever' to log in to the system. The Win2k machines log in in what I would consider to be a normal amount of time (The WinXP machines take approximately 2 minutes to log in. The Win2k machines take about 20 seconds.) Furthermore, the XP machines seem to drag doing normal tasks such as using Windows Explorer and Office applications.

I have tried connecting one of the Win2k machines to one of the XP machine's network connection to determine if it was specific to that network location and the Win2k machine continues to function normally

I suspect it may be something related to security policies but that's just a shot in the dark

Thanks for your help

G

One other detail

All the machines are 1.8 Ghz Pentium 4's with 512MB of RAM. It should be more than sufficient to run either OS.

G

Hi,

Are the LMHosts files all the same on all the systems and did u check for the default gateway.
Make sure that the entries in the LM Host file on Win 2k system are all available on the LM Host file on XP System.

Regards
M. Rajesh
www.winxpsolution.com

----- Mark Thompson wrote: -----

One other detail:

All the machines are 1.8 Ghz Pentium 4's with 512MB of RAM. It should be more than sufficient to run either OS.

C

Cyberbear

in message
I'm having a problem with Win XP Pro and I'm not sure where to
start. Any help would be appreciated. Here are the details:
I have a network with a Win2k3 server acting as the domain
controller. I have a few Win2k clients and a few WinXP Pro
clients. The XP machines and the Win2k machines are the exact
same machines from the same manufacturer. All the machines are
located in the same building as the domain controller and are all
part of the same domain and are part of the same subnet.
The WinXP machines take 'forever' to log in to the system. The
Win2k machines log in in what I would consider to be a normal
amount of time (The WinXP machines take approximately 2 minutes
to log in. The Win2k machines take about 20 seconds.)
Furthermore, the XP machines seem to drag doing normal tasks such
as using Windows Explorer and Office applications.
I have tried connecting one of the Win2k machines to one of the
XP machine's network connection to determine if it was specific
to that network location and the Win2k machine continues to
function normally.
I suspect it may be something related to security policies but
that's just a shot in the dark.
Thanks for your help.

Is the domain controller also running as a DNS server, or do you
have a local DNS server running in your network?

If not, your XP machines will take a very long time to log into
the domain.

Consider setting up a DNS server in your network, and configure
the clients to use that for their lookups.

HTH

G

M

Yes, the LMHosts are all the same on all the systems. As a matter of fact, they are all commented out so there are no real entries in the file at all. I have disabled the LMHosts lookup since there is nothing in the file anyway. This seems to have helped

All clients are configured to obtain TCP/IP settings automatically so none of them have a default gateway entered

Thanks for your input

Mark

G

Cyberbear

The domain controller is also serving as the DNS Server. I have all clients configured to obtain their settings from the server so they should all be looking to the domain controller for their DNS lookups

Thanks for the input

Mar

Ask a Question