XP installation error when installing devices

Whenever I tried to connect to the internet or turn on my printer, my
computer would crash to a blank screen with the power still on. I checked
all the cables and opened up the case and I couldn't see anything that was
obviously wrong, so I decided to format my hard disk (which I had been
planning to do soon anyway), thinking one of the drivers may have become
corrupted.

I formatted my hard drive and am now trying to reinstall XP Pro. It began
fine, until it reached the point of installing devices. It then crashed,
restarted itself and began to install again, crashing at the same point,
restarting, etc. Now I try and turn my computer on and nothing happens,
just a blank screen.

I've got no idea what to do. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dan

Jim Macklin

Disconnect all devices except wired keyboard and mouse.
Don't make the reinstall more difficult than necessary,
reinstall devices one at a time after the system is running
properly.

Very likely the crash was caused by a weak power supply or a
bad graphics card or graphics driver. A format and install
is usually NOT the first step in fixing a problem.

It could also have been a virus. What did you expect to see
that could be fixed with a format and install?

As long as there are no chicken feather or dirt in the
vents, etc and the computer is not over-heated, a crash
follows some action, accessing a graphics device, making a
network connection, turning on a printer... power is part of
all those things.

You may need help from a reformed Amish geek to solve the
problem, you may still need to determine the cause of the
original crash and fix the botched install too.

"The Angry Amish Chicken Plucker" <The Angry Amish Chicken
| Whenever I tried to connect to the internet or turn on my
printer, my
| computer would crash to a blank screen with the power
still on. I checked
| all the cables and opened up the case and I couldn't see
anything that was
| obviously wrong, so I decided to format my hard disk
(which I had been
| planning to do soon anyway), thinking one of the drivers
may have become
| corrupted.
|
| I formatted my hard drive and am now trying to reinstall
XP Pro. It began
| fine, until it reached the point of installing devices.
It then crashed,
| restarted itself and began to install again, crashing at
the same point,
| restarting, etc. Now I try and turn my computer on and
nothing happens,
| just a blank screen.
|
| I've got no idea what to do. If anyone can help, I'd
really appreciate it.

| Thanks,
| Dan

The mouse, keyboard and speakers are the only things currently connected, so
I'll try with just the mouse and keyboard.

The only change I have made to my computer at all in the past few months is
buying a printer and installing the driver for that. My first thought was
that it could have been this that was causing the problems, so I uninstalled
everything to do with the printer but it was still no better.

I was hoping that a driver had somehow become corrupted (whether from a
virus or other means) and installing Windows again, and therefore
reinstalling the drivers, would fix this. But now that it doesn't even
startup and attempt to install Windows, I may be screwed. I tried using
different power cables to connect the computer to the mains and still
nothing, so if the problem is power-related, it must be something internal.

Thanks,
Dan

Jim Macklin

It is hard to troubleshoot from a distance. It is usually
best to look at the logs to see what caused a crash, also to
try updating drivers and/or rolling back if you've recently
installed something. Also, scanning for viruses and spyware
is a good idea before you start doing major alterations.

Just some of the issues that come to mind are...
a bad RAM chip in an area that is used when performing an
operation...
power dropping to below minimum...
heat...
bad sectors on the hard drive...
a bad graphics card....
a bad driver...
an angry chicken ghost.

Good luck, just try step by step to eliminate possible
causes, one thing at a time if possible so you know what has
changed.

Good Luck