XP install failures - additional

G

I have run a little experiment and come up with some disturbing results.

After an NTFS failure with XP it looks as if the drive is useless. I now have 2 Toshiba notebooks (Tecra 8k, Satelite 1905 S301) 1 Compaq notebook, an HP Pavillion, 2 Compaq desktops, A Joes Computer & Baitshop clone (AMIBIOS), a Dell desktop, and 2 Gateway Desktops, that have disk drives that nothing will format. That is about 40% failure of what is being installed.

I have not yet tried Partition Magic, but after the NTFS formatting failures I have tried with SCO Unis, Solaris and RedHat 7.3 and 9. All of the Unix flavors can delete the existing partions and create the new but fail on about 10-11% of formatting.

I am rather concerned here and would like to hear if any other folks are having the same type of failures, or if I'm doing something really stupid.

My panic thought here is that MSoft may have a serious problem with NTFS.

NEED HELP, SEND DRIVES!

No more "Sorry for the inconvenience, but NTFS has just renedered your drive useless" scenerios.

C

CS

I have run a little experiment and come up with some disturbing results.

After an NTFS failure with XP it looks as if the drive is useless. I now have 2 Toshiba notebooks (Tecra 8k, Satelite 1905 S301) 1 Compaq notebook, an HP Pavillion, 2 Compaq desktops, A Joes Computer & Baitshop clone (AMIBIOS), a Dell desktop, and 2 Gateway Desktops, that have disk drives that nothing will format. That is about 40% failure of what is being installed.

I have not yet tried Partition Magic, but after the NTFS formatting failures I have tried with SCO Unis, Solaris and RedHat 7.3 and 9. All of the Unix flavors can delete the existing partions and create the new but fail on about 10-11% of formatting.

I am rather concerned here and would like to hear if any other folks are having the same type of failures, or if I'm doing something really stupid.

My panic thought here is that MSoft may have a serious problem with NTFS.

NEED HELP, SEND DRIVES!

No more "Sorry for the inconvenience, but NTFS has just renedered your drive useless" scenerios.

Sure sounds like you have had a bad run of hard drives or you're
bouncing your computers off the floor. A file system can not destroy
or render a drive useless. Don't know why your drives are failing
but it can't be blamed on the file system or the operating system.

Might it be the system operator?

S

Sharon F

After an NTFS failure with XP it looks as if the drive is useless. I now
have 2 Toshiba notebooks (Tecra 8k, Satelite 1905 S301) 1 Compaq
notebook, an HP Pavillion, 2 Compaq desktops, A Joes Computer & Baitshop
clone (AMIBIOS), a Dell desktop, and 2 Gateway Desktops, that have disk
drives that nothing will format. That is about 40% failure of what is
being installed.

How does one hard drive failure effect 10 computers?

G

What seems to be happening is perhaps a bad block table being built on the drives during an NTFS low level (long) format, or somethinf like it. I would attribute it to bad electrical, weak engineer, or bounces of the drives, but this has happened at a variety of client locations over the last month on at least ten different hard drives - out of perhaps 80-90 installs, some of them RIS based network boot installs from a Server2003 based image of XPPsp1. I have found that drives that were reformatted with the NTFS quick format can be hit with something like MaxBlast, or even old PC DOS 7.x with fdisk, delete non DOS partitions, create a limited fat16 or 32 and then an NTFS quick format from the command line. As long as I do not do the long format, the install will complete and XPP seems to load and run fine.

If the install did not fail but seemed to take its time on a format, the systems come up for the first time very slowly. running a chkdsk /x/r/v will find file inconsistancies and take from 3 to 8 hours to complete on a 20gb drive. A few times I have run fixmbr from the recovery console and run the system fine, though slowly, until a chkdsk is scheduled to run on next boot.

The setupdd.sys is the one giving me the BSODs when the drives begin having problems. I am not attributing this to the operating system, rather the NTFS formatting process that for whatever reason is keeping anything else from being able to access them - and I've got lots of old OS goodies for trying.

The first time this happened I attributed it to an old harddrive, the second time to a bad controller on the same notebook, then memory, and finally to just a computer that had just gone casters up forever. It aint the case no more...

The drives range in age from 2 years to just out of the box for a toshiba drive. I have been looking closely at memory speed matching characteristics because most of the BSOD bulletins from MSoft seem to point to memory speed mismatches and faulty memory as real problems during the install process while formatting using NTFS. The memory situation could also be a problem during cached MFT writes, or MBR operations as well. I have noticed that write back caching seems to pop up in event logs on brand new systems as getting disabled, as well as "bad controller" errors on startup of a brand new Dell PowerEdge server (SCSI of course) that did not occur until after I had wiped Server2003 off the SCSI drive and repartioned during the reinstall.

I have installed a lot of OS in the last fifteen years - from AIX, UNIX, OS/400, OS/2, DOS, Windows, and Amiga, thus I've got a little bit of experience recognizing what is to blame - I'm made my share of errors.

The last thing is the message itself on the install failures because of the formatting - it indicates that the process has been stopped to "prevent damage to my computer" why would an OS have that message?

Still looking for something constructive.

KN

----- Sharon F wrote: -----

After an NTFS failure with XP it looks as if the drive is useless. I now
have 2 Toshiba notebooks (Tecra 8k, Satelite 1905 S301) 1 Compaq
notebook, an HP Pavillion, 2 Compaq desktops, A Joes Computer & Baitshop
clone (AMIBIOS), a Dell desktop, and 2 Gateway Desktops, that have disk
drives that nothing will format. That is about 40% failure of what is
being installed.

How does one hard drive failure effect 10 computers?

S

Sharon F

a variety of client locations over the last month on at least ten
different hard drives - out of perhaps 80-90 installs,

Okay. You left that part out in your last missive. As written there were
obvious blanks in the story and didn't want to fill them in on my own.
after the NTFS formatting failures I have tried with SCO Unis, Solaris
and RedHat 7.3 and 9. All of the Unix flavors can delete the existing
partions and create the new but fail on about 10-11% of formatting.

This part does not make sense however. XP is less forgiving if there is
flakey hardware but apparently no operating system can format these drives.
Have they been checked with disk tools from the manufacturers?

G

Sharon, here is my original post, perhaps this is why you're not getting the full story:

all the the systems I cannot now format with a bootable install disk from 2000, XPPSP1-1A VLA, Server2003, Sever2000, XPH, etc, were running just fine on 2000, and XPH prior to bringing them onto a VLA with a partition deletion and creation. The format fails or takes 3-8 hours to run on everything from 10gb to 80gb drives from a variety of manufacturers.

I have tried pulling memory to base 128 or 256 (toshiba will not like me pulling the soldered on stuff) to see if I had memory problems - to no avail.

Does Microsoft have a current problem with NTFS formatting (Quick, Long, or from the command line) that anyone knows of?

I have a pile of systems beside me that is growing, and unless we can figure this out there will be no more XP installs.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

G

What doesn't make sense about using another OS to create and format partitions?

Sometimes another OS can see things MSoft cannot. I frequently use other OS loads for testing various things that people need help with.

I have many drives that have seen many versions of many OSs. I have lately been through a myriad of loads of Server2000 and Server2003 on some of these drives - once I cross the threshold of a long NTFS format they are becoming doorstops at an alarming rate.

I have been using the long format because some of the information I have seen from MSoft and some of it's gurus seem to indicate that the long format is necessary for a contiguous MFT (The 8 thats left when a partition is created under XP).

I have never even considered using anything but NTFS for many long years now. And since we are perhaps on the cusp of leaving the FAT16-32 stuff behind, I have a tendancy to burn those older FAT partions and create NTFS partitions.

Funny thing is every time I have run into an existing NTFS partition and began again this tends to be happening. On systems that have 95-98 that I have nuked, mostly no problems. I say mostly, because I did change my mind about how I wanted to set up an old laptop. I decided that since XP seems to need about 20gb for its care and feeding that I would go to a larger drive on that laptop to accomodate XP and park my data in the same partition. I changed my mind about parking my data in the same partition and did a partition delete and recreate to build 2. Bad idea - that brand new hard drive is now a coaster for my Dr. Pepper until I can find a cure for what ails it. Its been into three other laptops with simular results - though closer at times than others to completion of an XP install. It ran like a champ right up to the moment I did the deed, only a few weeks - but no problems.

I have piles of drives that get regular abuse as different OSs I need for testing, etc. are loaded. Doing the same types of things I have always done is leaving me with old dead drives (RIP) and dead new ones - or - seemingly dead. Hard Drive Mechanic just makes that awful sound that the heads make when they are taking another look at the same spot over and over again. PC Certify would be great if they would call me back to activate the product that I spent a hundred and fifty bucks there (waste), and a variety of other tools just seem to disappear into never never land like they don't know what they are seeing.

I know I have some bad habits that I use for some of my old drives and systems - for instance I use a bulk eraser (big nasty AC powered magnet) to nuke old 200 mb SCSI drives that I run in an old PS/2 for OS/2 and UNIX. It kills me that I can literally pick up a drive with this eraser - scramble its bits into oblivion and pu it back in that PS/2 and partition it with Solaris again. Not something I would try with any of my atapi stuff - hell, I don't even leave the magnet in the same room with my XP experiments. I even bought myself a new Dell and nuked it right out of the box because I didn't want all the crap that comes on a new laptop - quick format and running fine.

I would love to chalk it up to flaky hardware but that what has already been beat to death ( I have put together a lot of systems in the last 15 years and drive deaths out of the box just don't happen at this rate on this many different boxes with everything from base Rambus memory from the factory (Gateway) to PNY pc266 DDR memory in a nine month old Toshiba Satelite with a BIOS update to v2.10)

The manufacturers tools seem to be showing geometry just fine, no bad blocks, yadda yadda. The diagnostic tools seem to be having the same problem as NTFS, if NTFS has had at least one bad experience on the drive. Name a drive, I probably have at least one holding my books up now, and the pile of diskettes that accompany it.

Again what I am trying to find out is if there is a common thread here because I am seeing an awful lot of posts that have a simular feel in the ways that XP is going casters up. I like XP a lot, I don't want to walk a lot of my clients back into Windows 2000 if I can help it. I even have some that are wanting their 98 back (kill me now...) and these systems are dying before I even arrive (it happened before I was ever born...) with novice users walking through repartioning, screwing up and running out to Staples to buy another drive to replace the 4 month old Quantum out of the clone sitting next to the coffee maker and the water cooler. Then they call me and I 'm getting the same results.

Iv'e been looking at all the basics for several months here. I have spent a ton of money on new drives, systems, memory, books, diags, even nuking my old trusty sytems to experiment with XP. Bottom line is I have created more coffee coasters in the last six months with XP only than I have in 15 years total of doing this with a smorgasboard of OSs.

I even gave up on XP for a while and went to 7.3 and 9.0 Linux (again, kill me now...). I also have a client with a brand new Dell that I partioned down to 40 gig so I could use the rest for Virus quarantine box off of their server. It's been up for four weeks now with perhaps 7 reboots and power downs with no bad messages coming up on it yet, though the event log now shows that it gets controller errors on boot, no more after running for days. I am terrified to touch it for fear I'll be bleeding some more cash and time to fix it if the BSOD comes and takes the drive away.

I'm desperate here and because I have a long history of being able to fix nasty problems I'm stcuk with a bunch of these. If the client has the petty cash to do it I'm buying new drives and they are dying too. All when I touch them with NTFS more than once for whatever reason. My clients that can like having their new systems on a single XP keyed through VLA thus the nuking of a preinstalled XP home license on systems purchased off the shelf or off the net. same results. How can this many manufacturers have flaky hardware in this many different locations at the same time? No common factor except for one: NTFS.

S

Sharon F

Does Microsoft have a current problem with NTFS formatting (Quick, Long,
or from the command line) that anyone knows of?

Have been using NTFS since XP was in beta and have not seen this issue
firsthand nor have I seen any reports of problems such as those that you've
described. I read your first post in this thread several times and the dots
just did not connect from starting point to end results. I suspect that the
crux for getting a resolution will lie somewhere within the descriptive
details. Have you consulted with Microsoft tech support at all?

Ask a Question