XP home networking

Andrea

Help

I am trying to set up a home network with 2 PC's - one
came preloaded with XP Home the other I have upgraded
from 98 - I have the LAN established, set up ICS on the
host PC, allowed incoming connections to both but they
can still not see each other - they are in the same
workgroup but when I try to see the members of the
workgroup none are listed

Which simple switch do I need to set to allow the PC's to
see each other on the network - any su

Andrea

Steve Winograd [MVP]

"Andrea" said:
Help

I am trying to set up a home network with 2 PC's - one
came preloaded with XP Home the other I have upgraded
from 98 - I have the LAN established, set up ICS on the
host PC, allowed incoming connections to both but they
can still not see each other - they are in the same
workgroup but when I try to see the members of the
workgroup none are listed

Which simple switch do I need to set to allow the PC's to
see each other on the network - any su

Andrea

Run the Network Setup Wizard on the host computer and set it up to
share its Internet connection.

Then, run the Network Setup Wizard on the other computer. It should
automatically detect the ICS host.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Knoj

Help

I am trying to set up a home network with 2 PC's - one
came preloaded with XP Home the other I have upgraded
from 98 - I have the LAN established, set up ICS on the
host PC, allowed incoming connections to both but they
can still not see each other - they are in the same
workgroup but when I try to see the members of the
workgroup none are listed

Which simple switch do I need to set to allow the PC's to
see each other on the network - any su

Andrea

We need a little more information. How are they connected? Router?
Switch/Hub? Direct Cable connection?

Dave

This was not my original post, but I have exactly same problem. Each
computer is connected (Ethernet) to a router and therefore has it's own
direct internet connection (which works). Each computer shows the work
group but can't see the other's files. I am the only user on both
computers and wonder if the problem isn't related to permissions (I'm new to
XP).

Thanks in advance

Dave

Knoj

Subject: Re: XP home networking
From: "Dave" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

This was not my original post, but I have exactly same problem. Each
computer is connected (Ethernet) to a router and therefore has it's
own direct internet connection (which works). Each computer shows the
work group but can't see the other's files. I am the only user on
both computers and wonder if the problem isn't related to permissions
(I'm new to XP).

Thanks in advance

Dave

It appears then that you have already ran the network setup wizard. I say
this since you have the internet configured properly. If this assumtion is
wrong let me know.

Here are a couple easy fixes that might solve your file sharing problems.
If you try these and they don't work, make sure to come back here for more
help. Here are a few ideas:

1st. When you ran the wizard I'm sure you told it to enable file/print
sharing. That just turns it on, the next step is to tell XP what you want
to share. To do this select the folder/file you want to share then right
click on it. Select properties and on the Sharing tab select the proper
sharing boxes. If you choose to share a folder then all files and
subfolders within it are shared. So you don't have to manualy set up each
and every folder on your system, thank goodness.

MS has built in some limitations to file sharing in XP. XP won't allow you
to share a system folder. For example you can't normaly share your windows
folder or your "Programs" folder. There are some work arounds for this if
you need that capability.

2nd. Make sure both systems are on the same work group and each has a
different computer name. Click start -> Control Panel -> System. On the
"Computer Name" tab make sure each system is on the same workgroup, ie
MSHOME. Then each system requires a different "Full Computer Name".

For the changes to fully take effect I always opt to restart the machine.
Some times you also have to log out and then back in again. If this doesn't
help there are more things we can help you with here. This is just a basic
begining jumping off point.

Dave

Appreciate you taking the time to work with me. I still have the networking
problem. I am set up with Ethernet connections through a router. The Laptop
seems to be set up correctly since if I look at Network Places it shows the
work group and shared files on the Laptop - but does not show the Desktop.

The Desktop on the other hand shows the same work group in Network Places
but when I try to expand the work group I get a message that "workgroup is
not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact administrator ....... The list of servers for this work group is not
available."

Thanks again. Dave

Garett

This is probably a little late but I had to post it
somewhere...
I had the exact same problem and I lost a lot of
respect to XP for this whole issue. Anyway, I made sure
I installed all relevant networking Windows components
(Add Remove Programs / Windows Components). But I don't
think that did it (although I don't have "proof").
However I did stumble accross something that did fix the
problem. I went to Properties under My Computer. Went
to the Computer Name tab and clicked on Network ID
button. It then launched a Workgroup name wizard (huh?!)
and the only question was whether this PC was part of a
business network or home network. Of course I
choose "home" and it did some processing and asked me to
reboot. After doing this to both of my machines they can
now see each other! If this helps please pass it on as I
think there are a lot of people with this issue.
Thanks!
- Garett
p.s. I'm also using Simple File Sharing but don't know it
it would make a difference.