XP Home and Microsoft Outlook 2003 - can't configure exchange acco

G

I recently purchased a desktop with XP Home edition and it came with 60 days trial of Office 2003. Before I had a loptop with XP Professional and Micosoft Outook and had no problem configuring an email account with my company exchange server. With this combination of XP Home and Microsoft Oulook 2003, I am unable to connect to my same exchange email account. The program sits and wait before throwing all kind of error information "The action could not be completed. The connection is unavailable...blah blah"..but everything is fine..I can ping the server .... what I am doing wrong? Is XP Home edition configured to connect with Exchange server or do I have to turn on any service...thanks guys!!!

dollar

R

Roady [MVP]

Can you ping the server also by the FQDN of that server? Contact your
administrator if you don't have this information.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Creating Signatures
-Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3

T

Terry Straehley

I recently purchased a desktop with XP Home edition and it came with 60 days trial of Office 2003. Before I had a loptop with XP Professional and Micosoft Outook and had no problem configuring an email account with my company exchange server. With this combination of XP Home and Microsoft Oulook 2003, I am unable to connect to my same exchange email account. The program sits and wait before throwing all kind of error information "The action could not be completed. The
connection is unavailable...blah blah"..but everything is fine..I can ping the server .... what I am doing wrong? Is XP Home edition configured to connect with Exchange server or do I have to turn on any service...thanks guys!!!XP Home is designed for Home use in networks of 5 computers or fewer.
Granted that you can ping the server, can you log on to the network? I
believe that the problem is with XP Home not with Outlook.

R

Roady [MVP]

XP Home can logon to a domain it just can't be a part of it.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Creating Signatures
-Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3

-----

Ask a Question