XL charts in word

G

I have created a word document which includes charts linked to an excel file.
Can I now save it without the links in order to send it to someone else, but
so that the charts retain thier values?

M

macropod

Hi Helen,

Simply select the chart and press Ctrl-Shift-F9 to break the link. A potential problem with this is that you'll need to save the
unlinked copy to a separate file, otherwise you won't be able to update the link later on. An alternative might be to lock the link
to prevent it updating, via Ctrl-F11. You then have the option of unlocking it later on for updating, via Ctrl-Shift-F11.

Cheers

G

This is great! Thank you.

However, the document will have lots of charts with links and it would take
a long time to F9 every chart individually. Is there a way to select all and
apply the same thing, or can I save the document as something else which
would get rid of the link?

Many thanks

Helen

macropod said:
Hi Helen,

Simply select the chart and press Ctrl-Shift-F9 to break the link. A potential problem with this is that you'll need to save the
unlinked copy to a separate file, otherwise you won't be able to update the link later on. An alternative might be to lock the link
to prevent it updating, via Ctrl-F11. You then have the option of unlocking it later on for updating, via Ctrl-Shift-F11.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]
-------------------------

helen.s said:

M

macropod

Hi Helen,

If you use Ctrl-A to select the whole document, then press F9, that should update all the links in one go.

Once you've updated the links, Ctrl-A followed by Ctrl-Shift-F9 breaks all the links in the document - including the TOC and any
cross-references you might have. If that's too much, you could try selecting portions of your document that only have links to the
tables, then use Ctrl-Shift-F9 breaks all the links in just those portions. Just be careful not to save over the version with all
the links or you'll have to recreate them from scratch.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

helen.s said:
This is great! Thank you.

However, the document will have lots of charts with links and it would take
a long time to F9 every chart individually. Is there a way to select all and
apply the same thing, or can I save the document as something else which
would get rid of the link?

Many thanks

Helen

macropod said:
Hi Helen,

unlinked copy to a separate file, otherwise you won't be able to update the link later on. An alternative might be to lock the
link

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

helen.s said:

Ask a Question