xcacl help

  • Start date Start date

Craig

I am having problems using xcacls. I have a folder called "home". Within
home folder, I have 10 files. Within "home", I also have 10 folders.

To edit rights using xcacls, the command I'm running at d:\home is
xcacls.exe *.* /G domain\userid:c;c /e /t /c /y

Here's my problem:

I am finding that I can not modify the 10 files in home folder, even though
it says the user has modify rights when I right click in the GUI. For
instance, I can't create a new file in d:\home or create a folder in
d:\home. If I try to edit and existing file called d:\home\me.doc, it says
I only have read access even though the GUI says I have change rights. I
find that I can modify any of the data in the subfolders. For instance, I
can create a new file in d:\home\stuff\stuff.doc or create a new folder
called d:\home\docs

What am I doing wrong?

Hello,

Thank you for posting.

I understand that you are unable to create/modify files and folders under
the main folder after using xcacls command to specify the permission on a
folder.

I tried to simulate the scenario on my Windows 2000 system. I was able to
modify the contents of the file under the main folder and create new
file/folder under main folder successfully.

Please check the permission on the main folder and check if there are any
permissions restrictions on the D drive. The syntax of the command is fine
and achieves the result you are looking for. One of the reasons is the
permission hierarchy.

I hope the above information helps to resolve your issue. If there is
anything unclear, please feel free to let me know. Thank you and have a
nice day!

Rashmi

| I am having problems using xcacls. I have a folder called "home". Within
| home folder, I have 10 files. Within "home", I also have 10 folders.
|
| To edit rights using xcacls, the command I'm running at d:\home is
| xcacls.exe *.* /G domain\userid:c;c /e /t /c /y
|

| Here's my problem:
|
| I am finding that I can not modify the 10 files in home folder, even
though
| it says the user has modify rights when I right click in the GUI. For
| instance, I can't create a new file in d:\home or create a folder in
| d:\home. If I try to edit and existing file called d:\home\me.doc, it
says
| I only have read access even though the GUI says I have change rights. I
| find that I can modify any of the data in the subfolders. For instance, I
| can create a new file in d:\home\stuff\stuff.doc or create a new folder
| called d:\home\docs
|

| What am I doing wrong?

Back
Top