wrong file format

when i installed microsft off.pro edition 2003 the database files from the
old microsft office works has a file extension of .wdb when i try to open
the file , it says this file is not the correct format for microsft off.
project. the spreadsheets transfered ok to excel , but none of the works
database files any expert suggestions ?

Hi Farmer Brown,

..wdb is the file extension for Microsoft Works database:
http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=.wdb

Office Professional does not include Microsoft Works, which is nothing more
than a single table database. You may need to install MS Works on this PC, at
least temporarily, in order to export your data to a comma separated variable
(csv) text file. From there, it should be very easy to import it into
Microsoft Office Access. You'll need to create your own objects in Access
(tables, queries, forms, reports, etc.), but you should be able to get your
data by first exporting in Works to a text file and then using this as a
source of data for your .mdb file.

Tom

http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html

:

when i installed microsft off.pro edition 2003 the database files from the
old microsft office works has a file extension of .wdb when i try to open
the file , it says this file is not the correct format for microsft off.
project. the spreadsheets transfered ok to excel , but none of the works
database files any expert suggestions ?

Douglas J Steele

I've heard rumours that I can't confirm (due to not having any .wdb files to
test with!) that Excel can open .wdb files.

Douglas J Steele

You sure about that, Duane? I remember using Quick View Plus years ago with
Win95, and it was a viewer only: it couldn't do any conversions. The web
reference you gave didn't contain anything that leads me to believe that the
newer versions have changed. True, you'd be able to see what's in the wdb
file, and you could even do copy and paste of that data, so I suppose you
could copy all of the data and paste it into some other application..

Duane Hookom

I was just relaying what another poster suggested. He/she also said it was
free so maybe the info was wrong. The information on the web page suggests
"All or a portion of any viewed file can be copied and then pasted into an
application".

Hi Doug,

I searched two hard drives on my system and I also could not find a .wdb
file to use for testing. The list of available file types for Excel 2002 (I'm
not running 2003), in File > Open..., on the dropdown labelled "Files of
type:", does not seem to include this file extension. I checked this out
before posting my answer. I think I would have seen it there, since I've
always done full installations of the Office software. I suppose it could be
an optional download that is made available somewhere.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP

(no e-mails, please!)