Would Sir like an A level with that?

Reaction score
McDonald's is now offering the equivalent of A levels on its menu, after winning government approval to become an exam board. The "basic shift manager" course which is being piloted will train staff in everything they need to run a McDonald's outlet, from marketing to human resources and customer service skills.

It marks the first time commercial companies have been allowed to award nationally recognised qualifications based on their own workplace training schemes.

Two other firms - Network Rail and Flybe - have also been approved to award their own qualifications, the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority has said.

Skills Secretary John Denham said: "It is right that we recognise and accredit employers that have shown a commitment to training and developing their staff.

"This is an important step towards ending the old divisions between company training schemes and national qualifications, something that will benefit employees, employers and the country as a whole."

Giving qualifications equivalent status to A levels raises the prospect that staff could take a course at McDonald's and then go on to college or university.

But it will be universities and the higher education admissions service Ucas who decide whether the courses that emerge from these companies will be a good preparation for undergraduate study.

Airline Flybe has been given the green light to develop courses from GCSE to university degree level. The firm will be developing its "airline trainer programme" later this year. Courses will cover everything from engineering to cabin crew training.

Network Rail will be able to develop courses equivalent to GCSEs and A-levels and its first qualification to be piloted in 2008 will be in "track engineering".
The course will cover the technical requirements of track engineering and health and safety issues. The company said the entire Network Rail workforce of 33,000 staff would eventually be involved in the training.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Kinda devalues A-Levels doesn't it?

This will just fuel the fire of those A-Level critics who say the exam is nowhere near as hard as it used to be and is almost worthless as an indicator of one person's intellect.

FWIW I think it's true, take a look at an A level paper from 1970 and then at one from 2007.

Bit of an eye-opener eh?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Network Rail will be able to develop courses equivalent to GCSEs and A-levels and its first qualification to be piloted in 2008 will be in "track engineering".
The course will cover the technical requirements of track engineering and health and safety issues. The company said the entire Network Rail workforce of 33,000 staff would eventually be involved in the training.

Its about time too as all the courses they run at the moment concentrate on how to evade mass murder charges .

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I always thought A-Levels related to school or college work and 'on-the-job' training and qualifications were normally assigned to City & Guilds certificates.

I myself done a year's full time course followed a year later by a year's day release to gain City & Guilds Electronic Servicing Pt III. That was 22 years ago.

I guess things change an evolve.

But come on, an A-Level in the finer points of a Big Mac relish? :lol:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Kinda devalues A-Levels doesn't it?

FWIW I think it's true, take a look at an A level paper from 1970 and then at one from 2007.

Bit of an eye-opener eh?

indeed, however i'd still like to emphasize that A levels are not easy :D. They do seem to be becoming the new O level though.

Reaction score
A Levels were easy Except Chemistry and Maths. Well Maths was easy for me.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, in my day, I think we called it ... an apprenticeship. ;)

:D

user.gif

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
michael 118 said:
unfortunately, not all Englishmen are blessed with brains... :D

tell me about it, maths was very hard, so i chose a degree which has even harder stuff lol

Reaction score
If you are doing or did maths at degree level you really need to be shot! lol

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
psd99 said:
If you are doing or did maths at degree level you really need to be shot! lol

i'm doing engineering so i do a lot of maths, some of which my mate actually doing maths hasnt covered yet in his degree

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
i'm doing engineering so i do a lot of maths, some of which my mate actually doing maths hasnt covered yet in his degree

Am I right in thinking you're doing mechanical?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Am I right in thinking you're doing mechanical?

i'm doing automotive with motorsport but i've been thinking about changing to mechanical, all depends on if i get a placement or not

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Talking of Maths when I gained my C & G Pt III in Electronics I was told it was the equivalent to 'Half A Degree'

I considered carrying on to get the full monty and the next stage at that time was an exam named HNC.

When I looked over the syllabus though, 90% of it was applied Maths but all to do with Electronics of course. Now as much as I find Maths fascinating it is not my strongest subject.

So I quit while I was ahead and said to myself at that stage of life that was all the studying I was ever going to do, I was finished with exams at 36 years old, enough is enough. And so far it has been.

The ensuing qualification has kept me in work since so can't complain :)

Ask a Question