Would it be better to get single CPU archtecture or multi core?

nickodemos

Hello all.

My question revolves around money. In other words would it be
better to spend $750-1000 for a rig now or just $300-500?

If I can I would like the low end. Would it be possible to
build a fast gaming rig with outdated components? Something for the
next few years?

Just looking at the core features. IE PS,CPU,RAM,GPU

Or should I just upgrade my GPU?

I fried my ATI 9500 and had to downgrade to a stock Nvidia
Geforce 420 so I now can't play my games.

Does it make sense to upgrade a AGP graphics card and stretch out till
later or drop a load?

My specs now are

Dell Dimension 4550
WIN_XP_XP3
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz (Northwood)
768 RAM
Dual monitor
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420

All in all it still runs smooth except for the GPU. But it is getting
long in the tooth.

Any input would be nice.

NICKODEMOS

nickodemos

Well so much for real budget machine.
Shit, man.

Was hoping tos ave a few $$.
A multiple core CPU is an excellent value upgrade.

Thought so. But since I myself have not touched a multi core machine I
have never felt the difference.
Posting XNoArchive when asking for technical help is a disservice to
those looking for answers later.

Sorry about that. Been sometime since I played with newsgroups. Still
using the persona from binary download days.

Nickodemos

PS
OK so can you guys at least give me a heads up on a good MB? Something
that might not be bleeding edge but without the pitfalls of hidden
tech speak?

John Doe

nickodemos said:
If I can I would like the low end. Would it be possible to
build a fast gaming rig with outdated components? Something for
the next few years?
No.

Does it make sense to upgrade a AGP graphics card and stretch out
till later or drop a load?

Shit, man.
My specs now are

Dell Dimension 4550
WIN_XP_XP3
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz (Northwood)
768 RAM
Dual monitor
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420

All in all it still runs smooth except for the GPU. But it is
getting long in the tooth.

Any input would be nice.

A multiple core CPU is an excellent value upgrade.

Posting XNoArchive when asking for technical help is a disservice to
those looking for answers later.

Rarius