World's smallest projector? Yes, from Epson!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Seiko Epson is showing a prototype mini-projector using an LED light source at the ongoing Internationale Funkausstellung (IFA) 2005 in Berlin, Germany (September 2-7).

With a footprint of 13.8 by 10.3cm (smaller than a sheet of A6 paper) and a slender profile, the 500g prototype projector can fit easily into the palm of your hand, the company claims.

:cool:

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 696

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
500g?! WOW!

That would be an amazing thing to carry round in your laptop bag :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Wow! I wonder how much the bulbs will cost? If they are relatively cheap (not ridiculously expensive like most are) then projectors could become as commonly owned as TVs! :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
LEDs are normally really cheap, so could be :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
yep LED's are pennies, if its good quality and cheap then alot of people will get them for watching DVD's

Reaction score
Yea I could see that becoming a common office product for presentations. May create a very decent slide show presentation, or turn my ceiling into a big screen.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Just for your information, Epson has an LCD projector in their line-up which sports the cheapest bulb for any projector, about 40% of what a normal projector bulb costs and good for 3000 hours. I have a feeling that Epson understands what a customer really needs. Take for instance the coluor printers, if my memory serves me right the were the first to introduce individual colour cartridges.

As everyone has rightly pointed out that LED's are cheap, let's hope this projector comes with the light source which is 40% of the cheapest bulb you can buy. That would be a great step forward in terms of affordability of a projector :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
As everyone has rightly pointed out that LED's are cheap, let's hope this projector comes with the light source which is 40% of the cheapest bulb you can buy. That would be a great step forward in terms of affordability of a projector :)

Just think - every home could have a cinema! :D

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Just for your information, Epson has an LCD projector in their line-up which sports the cheapest bulb for any projector, about 40% of what a normal projector bulb costs and good for 3000 hours. I have a feeling that Epson understands what a customer really needs. Take for instance the coluor printers, if my memory serves me right the were the first to introduce individual colour cartridges.

I dunno if I would use thier printers as examples. I've owned an Epson Stylius 300, 500 and 800. Now that was a long when they came out. All I can remember from those things was that they took about 30min to 1 hour to start up sometimes, and maybe 5 min before every print. The whole long cleaning cycle. Brings back nightmares. But perhaps it was just bad luck on our part.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Raje said:
All I can remember from those things was that they took about 30min to 1 hour to start up sometimes,

I have been using printers since before you were born and never came across any brand of printer which took that much time to start. Exageration to an extent is acceptable but this is ridiculous! Give me a break will ya? :rolleyes:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
They take that long in the US to 'warm-up' 'cos they only got 110v ... but we here have 240v. :D

Though you must admit, some of them cheap epson printers did/do have a mind of their own. ;)

Raje, they didn't tell you ... you needed 3 mice on the treadmill not 1

I do notice the Seiko name before Epson, usualy means senior partner. Love their watches, Seiko that is. :thumb:

Ask a Question