Work in progress

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Finally started work on making an audio switcher for my valve amplifier.

First things first, the power supply for the relay board.

A small 12V 2.5A toroidal from RS and a regulated PSU board from a Maplins kit to give me a steady 5 volts.

Pictured below, just constructed volt reg kit and set volts to 5. I added the heatsink on the voltage regulator, that wasn't in the kit, better safe than sorry.

Now I've made a start hopefully I'll have it finished soon, although there's quite a lot to do, have to mount twelve phono sockets in the case next.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Switcher003_900.jpg
    Switcher003_900.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 411
  • psu_001.jpg
    psu_001.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 343

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I like your project/picture threads - looking forward to seeing how this develops :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The idea was to complete the back panel as well today but I didn't have:

1) Chassis mounted IEC plug to take mains in.
2) Chassis mounted 20mm fuse holder for mains in.
3) Enough small nuts bolts and washers to mount all the phono sockets.

I rummaged around but couldn't find the parts I need so over to RS or Maplins tomorrow on my travels.

You can see from the pic of most of the parts that the nuts and bolts holding some phono sockets in are a bit of a mixture.

I bought a 21mm hole cutter especially to mount those.

Pic of parts:

attachment.php

Attachments

• parts_001.jpg
    parts_001.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 351

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The microphone? Nothing, it's just there. It's an SM58 I resoldered the cartridge connections to, is all.

I've just been looking at the wiring/layout/working of the switching board and all is not entirely clear to me, have to confess.

I think a study over coffee in the morning in the cold light of day may be in order ;)

And if that don't work I'll phone Dave The Bass :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Them pics look like my projects after I have finished them
nod.gif

You is some clever dude.
nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
They have an amzing valve amp kit on the home page have you seen it?

It's nearly £900 :eek:

You mean World Designs?

Yes, Valve Amps are expensive. Well, the good ones are.

The most expensive parts are the mains and output transformers.

For mine I was given a pair of custom made output transformers from a mate who decided he wasn't going to use them (they were made for a 1960's Leak Valve amplifier) and the mains transformers were taken free from a box full in the Skillcentre where I took a course in '84. They were just there and the tutor said 'Help yourself :eek: So I did.

All the rest cost about eighty quid including the case, back in '85. Of that, the case cost £30.00 and the pcb's cost £35.00 for the pair from Elektor magazine.

To avoid confusion, I'm talking about the amplifier, not the audio switcher pictured here.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Coming along

Done some more this morning.

I've just realised I haven't fitted the power switch and neon, doh, best switch the soldering iron on again...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• audio_005.jpg
    audio_005.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 262
  • audio_007.jpg
    audio_007.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 380
  • audio_008.jpg
    audio_008.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 323

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I finished this today and it works :thumb:

Listening to XFM radio on DAB through the switcher/valve amp right now and it sounds really good :)

I have a new toy :D

Right now, my switcher is knobless but once I've secured a couple of black satin finish knobs, fitted them and labelled the front, I'll post a few pics of my media setup.

I did have problems with the volume control, it was causing buzzing but then I used a volume control method known as 'shunt control' which basically uses a fixed resistor as a potential divider with the pot tracks between earth and output. Sort of. Anyhow, it works well.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
nice ... waiting to see finished pics :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've been listening to music a lot with this setup and words like musicality, presence and warmth come to mind.

My only regret is that I made this thing then sat on it for 24 years :( But, no matter, listening to music has now taken on a whole new dimension :)

Here's some pix of my media setup, all I need now is a telly. And a PS3 would be nice. But other toys have priorities, sad to say.

I've listed details of all the stuff just in case anybody might be interested.

To me, it sounds bloody brill, but I have oft been accused of being a philistine during my more excitable moments.

Everything has a remote control including the TV tuner card and media case, except the valve amp and switcher. The little black button hanging out by the computer case is the TV card remote receiver. The wooden box houses a couple of pairs of headphones (rarely used).

The connect leads for CD Player and tuner are home made from quality components and cable. The connect leads for the I-Pod and the Computer are cheap & nasty ready-mades.

And yes, I need to replace the volume control label, that one's imperfect.

Ok, here's the spec, followed by a few random pix:

Media centre:

Home made stereo valve amp, 10 watts per channel
Home made 5 way audio switcher
Cambridge Azur 640C CD Player
Cambridge Azur 640T DAB/FM Tuner
Cambridge iD10 I-Pod docking station
KEF Cresta loudspeakers
Gale loudspeaker stands

Asus M4N78-VM Micro-ATX motherboard
Integrated Nvidia 8200 Graphics
AMD AM2 5050e dual core 2.6Ghz CPU
Stock cooler
2Gb (2 x 1Gb) Corsair XMS2 6400C4 Memory
Asus Pci-e Xonar D2X sound card
80Gb Drive for Vista OS
1Tb drive for storage – DivX movies; music; photos
Asus DVDRW
Hauppage Win TV Nova-T 500 Twin digital tuner TV Card
Antec Black Fusion media case with remote control
Logitech Wireless keyboard & mouse

Currently sharing 24” monitor with main computer via Aten KVM switch

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

007.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
24 years, that's almost as old as me ;)

You've done a very neat job there Flops :thumb: Once you've got a TV on top of there you will be in media-heaven! The capabilities of a media PC are just fantastic - it's so easy to watch iPlayer etc... on a big screen.

Reaction score
Nice setup Sir...A nice 32" telly would look good there now...You'd get on with me Da. He loves to build his own electronic goodies. He has his own version of what you have done. They have all kinds of different TV decoders, plus Media Center etc witch he built his own switcher etc. I wish I had the brains to do all that..:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Nice work there man....no easy project either......bet the neighbours aint happy lol.
I'm in a fortunate position as I have no neighbours directly adjoining me.

On the 6th floor and that floor has three flats, two on one side, me on the other.

Add to that both other occupants also like to play their music and have occasional parties and I'm in a rather fortunate position :)

I don't have it blaring out stoopid but I do have it at a level I can enjoy.

MadX: Not really brains mate, it all stems from being made redundant in '82, seeking an alternative career, finding it then applying work skills to home skills, is all :)

I still make stoopid mistakes just like everybody ;)

But this setup works. And it's good.

My amp is as old as Ian :eek:

Strange thought, lol

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
MadX: Not really brains mate, it all stems from being made redundant in '82, seeking an alternative career, finding it then applying work skills to home skills, is all :)

I suppose over the years, not been made redundant thankfully, but changing jobs I have had to learn new skills, lol and I have a few under my belt....

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
24 years, that's almost as old as me ;)

You've done a very neat job there Flops :thumb: Once you've got a TV on top of there you will be in media-heaven! The capabilities of a media PC are just fantastic - it's so easy to watch iPlayer etc... on a big screen.

You'll be old enough to get married soon then
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Can anyone envisage a world where wires to power our things are no more. I mean all those wires going in/out of Flops projects,I bet they alone help keep the room warm. But seriously will we ever be rid of those pesky wires?

historian :)

Ask a Question