Word word98 doc to XP

Reaction score
Can anybody help please, My workmate recently bought a new PC and installed Office XP. He's trying to open Word documents that he created on his old Win98 PC from floppy-the documents are opening but he says there all "like binary" -can anybody recommend a programme that will allow him to open the docs with the original text, formatting etc, or better still a tool within Office that will allow older made docs to open properly........

I suggested changing the file extension to .rtf .html .txt etc etc etc but I think this will affect the formatting and Iwont know if it worked until I see him in work tomorrow, he's going on holiday tomorrow night and his wife needs the documents.

A BIG THANKS in advance to anyone who can help or advise:thumb:

Last edited:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ok if he's using word go to Tools> Options> click on the Compatability tab and select RECOMMENDED OPTIONS FOR and then highlight the version of word he was previously using....Either Word 97 or whatever and then click ok and then he can open his document and all should be well....

Let us know how he gets on...;)

Reaction score
Word 98.doc to XP

Thanks folks for the reply, As I stated before he's away on holiday now so I won't know until he gets back. I'll keep u posted.:)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
No problem Bigslim, like i say let me know how he gets on....:D

Ask a Question