Word2000 triggers the Notebook fan

G

My Sony PIIIM 850MHz, 256Mb, 30Gb, WnXP Pro notebook's fan goes off, making a rather irritating noise, sometimes when I use MS Word 2000 and always when I use Microsoft Binder (all Word 2000 documents). The funny thing is that the fan did not go off before I resintalled a clean reinstall of Win XP and MS Office 2000 Premium. Still funnier is that since then I have reinstalled clean install several times, and sometimes, the fan does not go off and sometimes it does. And it certainly does not go off when I am using other programmes, such as writing this while connected on the net, or running various database programmes.

I have been wondering whether the size of file (5Mb) is the problem. But I reduced the size, but the result is unpredictable. I tried to separate each files in Microsoft Binder, and copy and paste them in new Word files, and then reassemble them. But still the fan goes off.

I really wish the wizards in computer business invent silent notebook fans. But until that happens, I am struggling to keep my computer quiet so that my flimsy brain can concentrate.

Please help how to keep my notebook fan silent when using Word 2000 or MS Binder!!!!

R

Rob Schneider

The fan goes off when it's logic software/hardware and temperature
measures tell it to. When it has to do hard work, e.g. deal with a 5 mb
file, it will need cooling.

Generally, it's a good thing for the fan to turn on as otherwise things
will melt.

Check with Sony to see if there are any updates for your device on how
the fan works.

There is no special software in Word to turn on the fan.

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

G

Thanks for your comment. I have experimented with a shorter file (500Kb), just using Word2000. Agan the fan is triggered, and it keeps going on and on without stopping. It just goes on and on, even if I do not do anything. What is so completely puzzling is that within the same file, if I move the insertion point to a different part, the fan stops. I have uninstalled all the Office programmes, and defragmented the HDD, and then reinstalled the Office programmes. Still, the fan is triggered and keeps going on and on. Since I just could not stand the fan noise, I will have either to stop using Word or to change the computer, neither of which is very tempting, because I am so accustomed to them. Since the fan does not go off when I am using other programmes heavily, it really looks like there is something wrong with Word.

Ask a Question