word will not start up searches for sberet.msi and cannot find

excel loads fine
outlook ok
word tries to access set up office small biz xp
then it says the feature you are trying to access is on CD or other
removeable disk that is not avail
please insert
when i insert disk one no luck
then if click ok box comes up and says to look for sberet.msi from which can
intall msoffice xp on my computer - it already is on
a search including hidden files cannot find it on my computer
then get error 1076
setup cannot find the required files
in the meantime word wont load
did so fine this morning and no other changes since then

Beth Melton

What version of Word are you using?

Do you know if Word came preinstalled as part of Works Suite?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"stuck trying to use load word" <stuck trying to use load
news:[email protected]...

thank you very much for such a quick reply
it was part of an oem ms office small biz suite 2002
the excel it came with is version 2002 10-4302-4219 sp2
i cannot load sp3
now even excel does the install routine before starting up
the good news is excel does start up!

i have a further problem too
whenthe vendor shipped the computer
they forgot to give me the office disks
so to make up for this they gave me a new unopened set of ms office xp
standard 2002
trouble is if i install these
i start over
sorry for the trouble
i do not know why this has started happening
thank you for your time trying to help
very appreciated

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Since the unopened CDs of Office XP are all you have, you would be well
advised to uninstall Office XP SBE and start from scratch. You will not lose
any documents and will not necessarily lose settings, but see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm for suggestions on
backing these up. IIRC, Office XP SBE includes Publisher, which is not part
of Office Standard, so you should attempt not to uninstall it.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

all may benefit.

"stuck trying to use load word"

Beth Melton

The problem you are encountering is caused by the way the OEM
installed Office and Excel. It's missing an Installer file which is
probably back on the OEM's network.

This is a bit of a dilemma since the copy of Office they sent you does
not include Publisher. So if you uninstall Office SBE and install
Office Standard you will no longer have Publisher. So I'm not sure
what to do other than contact the OEM and request they provide you
with the installation CDs for what you actually paid for...

But if you want to remove the current version of Office that is
installed and install the copy they sent you instead then here's what
you would need to do (note this would be your decision and not
necessarily my recommendation):

Obtain the following utility and use it to remove only the reference
to Office and Excel (if there is one for Excel). Once that is complete
then you'll need to reinstall Office, the copy they provided you, to
point the Windows Installer to your new installation CD:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290301

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"stuck trying to use load word"

Dear Beth
Thank you very much for your extremely fast and kind answers
fortunately the company i am dealing with was able to work hard and found
appropriate disks
everything fixed itself as soon as i put the stater disk in
what a relief
thank you for your solutions
and
i am very impressed with your great help
thanks again

Dear Suzanne
thank you for your quick response and help
fortunately the company i bought from is very reputable and they worked hard
to find the appropriate disks and all is now fixed
thanks again for everything
i really appreciate it
cheers

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I'm glad you had such a satisfactory resolution to the problem.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

all may benefit.

"stuck trying to use load word"

Beth Melton

Glad to hear you are back in business. :)

That sounds like a good company! Seldom do we hear how an OEM actually
fulfilled their obligation to a customer. You should share who they
are and give them a plug in the newsgroups.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"stuck trying to use load word"

guanimo

Beth - I have the same problem but do not have the cd rom to reinstall. What
do you recommend?

Thanks!