word conversion to html

I have a client that wants to take a pre-existing word document and publish it on the web. I know how to convert it by saving as a web page. The issue at hand is it is a columned document, when it is saved as html the column formatting is removed, how can I stop this from happening? The person creating this document does not know html nor does the client want to learn html. I need to keep the process as simple as possible.

Any suggestions?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

HTML does not support newspaper-style columns.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

all may benefit.

Joy said:
I have a client that wants to take a pre-existing word document and
publish it on the web. I know how to convert it by saving as a web page. The
issue at hand is it is a columned document, when it is saved as html the
column formatting is removed, how can I stop this from happening? The person
creating this document does not know html nor does the client want to learn
html. I need to keep the process as simple as possible.

Suzanne,

Is there a format that is close to newspaper style columns that word supports when it converts to HTML. I do know how to make a html docment look like newspaper columns, by using html tables and/or css, but I do not want to do thier weekly newletter for them. Do you have any suggestions on how it could be handled within WORD

Jo

----- Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote: ----

HTML does not support newspaper-style columns

-
Suzanne S. Barnhil
Microsoft MVP (Word
Words into Typ
Fairhope, Alabama US
Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.or
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup s
all may benefit

Joy said:
I have a client that wants to take a pre-existing word document an
publish it on the web. I know how to convert it by saving as a web page. Th
issue at hand is it is a columned document, when it is saved as html th
column formatting is removed, how can I stop this from happening? The perso
creating this document does not know html nor does the client want to lear
html. I need to keep the process as simple as possible

Dayo Mitchell

Before you put a lot of effort into this, step back and think that it is
*really* annoying to read columned documents on the web. One has to scroll
down, then scroll up, then scroll down again to read the other
column....there's a reason why HTML doesn't support it. Does this client
want people to actually read the document on the web? Because columns might
just drive them away... Unless they are very short, in which case shouldn't
tables or frames work?

DM

lostinspace

Before you put a lot of effort into this, step back and think that it is
*really* annoying to read columned documents on the web. One has to scroll
down, then scroll up, then scroll down again to read the other
column....there's a reason why HTML doesn't support it. Does this client
want people to actually read the document on the web? Because columns might
just drive them away... Unless they are very short, in which case shouldn't
tables or frames work?

DM

Use of Tables in today's internet is declining fast among the html/CSS
purists.
Frames have ALWAYS been taboo.
Use of Word to create html is even more taboo than either of the
aforementioned two.

The way to make newspaper columns work in html is by placing a bookmark at
the top of the columns following the 1st column, with links on the bottoms
of the previous colums. Whether this is possible in Word and then converted
to html? I cannot tell you. Nor am I inlcined to find out :-(