Word 2007 won't Launch

Harry_l

I have Office Ultimate installed and when I click on any word document or
just the launch icon...word does not launch. This started just a day ago. I
have never had problems before...I checked for viruses, worms, etc... I
disabled and then removed my Norton...still no launch, I ran diagnostics,
and online update complete patches for 2007 version, still no launch...I AM
LOST...PLEASE HELP!

Herb Tyson [MVP]

The usual causes are a) corrupted registry entries or b) corrupted
normal.dotm.

For starters... I assume that you've tried rebooting.

Will Word start in Safe Mode? Hold down the Ctrl key when you start Word and
click Yes to the prompt asking if you want to start in Safe Mode.

If it starts in Safe Mode... close Word and locate Normal.dotm, and either
rename it or delete it.

If Word starts now, you're done.

If not, try deleting the Data key in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word

This page contains info on editing the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Following up from your email... Did you try running Word in Safe mode? Does
it launch correctly then? If Safe mode doesn't allow it to launch, then the
following steps won't help.

If Safe mode does allow Word to run, the next thing to try is to delete
Normal.dotm. Did you do that? Does Word launch correctly now?

If not... delete the data key.

Are you running Windows XP or Vista?

Asuming Vista, try this:

1a. Click Windows' Start button, and type regedit into the Start Search box
and press Enter.

In Window XP, try this:

1b. Click the Start button, then Run, type regedit and press Enter.

2. You'll get one of those Windows needs your permission to continue
prompts. Click Continue.

3. The registry is divided into five major sections. If you collapse the
organization trees at the left by clicking the little triangles, you will
see the major sections. You want the HKEY_CURRENT_USER section.

4. Click the little triangle next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER to expand it.

5. Expand Software, then expand Microsoft, Office, 12.0, and Word (make sure
you expand Word within Office\12.0, there is another Word listed below that
is just within Office. You want the one that's within Word. As you expand,
the status bar at the botton of the registry editor window will show you
what key you're displaying.

6. Still looking at the left side of the Registry Editor window, under Word
you will see things like Data, File MRU, Options, Recent Templates. Click
on Data. The status line at the bottom of the window will show the
following:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word

7. Tap the Delete key on your keyboard, then click the Yes to confirm
deletion.

Close the registry editor and try to launch Word (not in Safe mode this time
around). Does it launch now?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

Harry_L

Thank you your help saved me!...If there is anything I can do for you, please
let me know...you are a true MVP

ej.carter93

i have no idea where im writing or who im writing to i just need to know how to get into my microsoft office wrod 2007 it keeps saying preparing to install then says This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package. PLEASEHELP SO FRUSTRATING

Peter T. Daniels

i have no idea where im writing or who im writing to i just need to know how to get into my microsoft office wrod 2007 it keeps saying preparing to install then says This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package.      PLEASE HELP SO FRUSTRATING

Whoa, slow down!

Is this a new copy of Word2007? If it is, how did you get it? If it
isn't, did it used to work? Why do you have a "patch package"?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

See You receive an error message when you try to install or run an Office
program: "This patch package could not be opened" or "The installation
source for the product is not available" at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932857.

wrote in message

i have no idea where im writing or who im writing to i just need to know how
to get into my microsoft office wrod 2007 it keeps saying preparing to
install then says This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the
patch package exists and you can access it, or contact the application
vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package.
PLEASE HELP SO FRUSTRATING

ferretfrenzi

running MS Office 2007 - Server 2003

Each program is installed on individual computer. A few of my users (5) areexperiencing an error running MS Word. I tried opening in safe mode - it stalls. I tried deleted key - still nothing. tried renaming normal.dotm and deleting - nothing worked. went to support.microsoft.com/kb/921541/eu-us - ran fix - nothing.

Can anyone help? Please. :'(