Word 2003 XML tags

G

What is the difference between the colors of XML tags in a document, sometimes they appear <tag></tag> ( and are pink) sometimes they appear as <tag/> and are darker, it looks like it has something to do with the position of the tag

only tags on a line will appear <tag></tag

tags in text appear as <tag/

Any body have some info on this? are the tags and their appearce described in any document?

C

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi =?Utf-8?B?SGFu?=,

I don't know of any documentation that describes this, but I was told during beta it has to do
with whether a tag contains any Word "structural elements". A tag the contains a word table
will look different (lighter) from tags that encompass only text within a table cell (darker);
the table itself, or a cell, is one of those structural elements. So is a paragraph mark.
Basically, that would be anything that saving to "pure" XML (as opposed to WordML) would filter
out.
What is the difference between the colors of XML tags in a document, sometimes they appear
only tags on a line will appear <tag></tag>

tags in text appear as <tag/>

Any body have some info on this? are the tags and their appearce described in any document?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Sep 30 2003)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in the
newsgroup and not by e-mail :)

G

OK that makes sense, however it seems like an end user cannot change this "state" of a tag,
for example,
assume I start filling a tag from scratch, and it then becomes "shaded" with no particular "structure";
then after a while I may want to insert a paragraph mark within the tag,
but this cannot be done since it is a shaded tag; when doing this I instead seem to jump out of the tag and my insertion point goes below the tag itself; for this to work the tag would be required to change state to "non-shaded" so that it can contain structure such as paragraphs marks.

The same seems to hold for structured tags; once structured, always structured, even if I remove structure within the tag.

Is there maybe some way of enforcing tags to be structured or not via the xsd ? Sure I understand I also can enforce this via a .dot template with already created tags, however the problem persists when the end user is about to create tags on-the-fly.

Ask a Question