WinXP configs and Office10/Outlook10 specific GPO configs

Chris Floyd

I've just finished a roll out of about 60 XP systems and
we have decided that we want to set a specific size to
the System Restores (10% rather than the default 12%) and
we want to add the Domain Admin group into the remote
assistant permissions area. Is there a GPO option to
force this or do we just have to hit it manually. More
over would there be a Reg Entry that we could use in
stead?

Also I would like to have Outlook auto configure for
each unique user when they logon. I know there is a MSI
transform option for this, but the Office install is
already completed and I'm again wondering if there is a
GPO option for this.. if not there needs to be!!! I've
looked through the Office10.adm and the Outlook10.adm but
do not see anything resembling this option.

Thanks in advance!

Philip Nunn

i use OProfile from Imanami.com and it works great for autmatically
configuring users outlook profiles. I just setup a logon script to execute
the program at first logon and it works great!

Philip Nunn

Chris

OK well I just got an automated messege from MS asking if
the resolution here helped and the answer is note only no
but H E L L N O.

I had hopes for this forum but I'm finding it a painful
waste of time.

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your post. I hope that I can address your questions and be
able to find a resolution. Please don't loose hope and give me a chance to
help.

I have involved several engineers and we discussed this problem in detail.
We would like to share the following information with you: (Please let us
know if the following works or not, so we can follow up to ensure we
resolved the issue.)

A. Regarding the System Restore issue:

1. We cannot configure the system restore settings by using GPO. Currently
in Windows XP, there are only two system restore settings available:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\System Restore

Turn off System Restore
Turn off Configuration

We can only use GPO to disable/enable System Restore and allow/deny local
configuration. I have contacted the develop team and my colleague told me
that in next version (Longhorn), it is planed that we can configure all
parameters (including Disk Space) via GPO.

2. The Disk Space setting for System Restore is not saved in registry.
Instead, I found it is actually recorded in the following file:

C:\System Volume Information\_restore<GUID>\drivetable.txt

Unfortunately, the "<GUID>" value is unique depending the disk drive
signature. Also, we cannot indicate how many logical partition the clients
have and how large they are. Therefore, it is difficult to adjust Disk
Space setting by changing the drivetable.txt file directly.

3. Fortunately, WMI interface is available for adjusting most System
Restore settings. Therefore, we can develop a program to adjust the
clients' System Restore Disk Space size.

Here is the link to the documentation in how to modify the % of diskspace
consumed per disk via the WMI class:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sr/sr/syste
mrestoreconfig.asp

Here are also some script examples for accessing/modifying some of the
configuration parameters of System Restore as well as enumerating,
restoring and getting restore status back remotely from a machine:

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/techinfo/productdoc/scriptingexamples
.doc

If you need more information regarding this, I suggest that you using our
DEV-related news groups. For example, we can try the following:

microsoft.public.platformsdk
microsoft.public.vsnet.general
microsoft.public.vstudio.general

B. Regarding the Remote Assistant issue:

I am not very clear about your requirement. Are you about to configure
Remote Assistance or Remote Desktop Permission?

If you want to configure Remote Assistance, we can do it via GPO:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Remote Assistance

Solicited Remote Assistance
Offer Remote Assistance

However, if you want to ensure that the domain admins group member can
assess the client via Remote Desktop, we can add Domain Admins to the
client's Remote Desktop Users group. You can add the following command in
your current domain logon script:

net localgroup "Remote Desktop Users" "DomainName\Domain Admins" /ADD

C. Regarding the Outlook pre-configuration issue:

I am not sure whether the tool (OProfile) Philip Nunn recommended meets
your requirements. If it is not sufficient, I would like to suggest that
you post the question in the following news group:

microsoft.public.outlook.installation

The news group is dedicated to discussing Outlook installation issues and I
believe you will get informative and detailed suggestions there.

Please let me know if anything is unclear. I will do my best to help you.

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation