loading the boot screen, screen goes white and it gives
me a error message that popups really fast, and shuts
itself down. I had to replace ntoskrnl.exe in
c:/windows/system32, but I made backups of it in windows
and c files. Any one know how 2 fix it so I can use it
again :(

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Boot your computer from the XP CD and allow setup to run. When offered the opportunity to Repair an existing installation, choose this option. You'll be prompted for the Administrator password. This is not AN Administrator level user, it is for THE built in Administrator account.

Once at the command prompt, use the COPY command to replace NTOSKRNL.EXE with the backup copy you made. Hopefully, its in the Windows folder, or one of its sub folders. By default, other folder trees are not accessible in Recovery Console.

A

Alex Nichol

Doug said:
Boot your computer from the XP CD and allow setup to run. When offered the opportunity to Repair an existing installation, choose this option. You'll be prompted for the Administrator password. This is not AN Administrator level user, it is for THE built in Administrator account.

Once at the command prompt, use the COPY command to replace NTOSKRNL.EXE with the backup copy you made. Hopefully, its in the Windows folder, or one of its sub folders. By default, other folder trees are not accessible in Recovery Console.

The immediate R recovery console does allow COPY from a CD, so if the CD
is known to be say E: (it may take a use of DIR E: etc to check that
out), a command there
COPY E:\i386\Ntoskrnl.exe_ C:\windows\ntoskrnl.ex_
will copy that into the windows folder after which
Expand C:\Windows\ntoskrnl.exe C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
will expand that compressed file to the place where it is needed

Ask a Question