WINS - Unable to remove Tombstoned entries

Jason

G'day

I have a problem on my win2k domain where i have entries
sitting in WINS that have been there since 2002 - all of
which are in a tombstoned state. I have 2 WINS servers on
the local LAN, and one offsite via WAN. I am using a hub
and spoke setup with all server in push/pull replication
mode.

The interval times are set as the default - 6days, 4days,
6days, 24days for the corresponding Renew interval,
extinction interval, extinction timeout and verification
interval.

My question is: how do i get the tombstoned entries to
disappear??

Note: In the event logs on the primary WINS server, i get
the following error: Source Wins, EventID: 4283

WINS encountered an error while processing a push trigger
or update notification. The error code is given in the
data section. If it indicates a communication failure,
check to see if the remote WINS that sent the trigger
went down. If the remote WINS is on a different subnet,
then maybe the router is down.

Data:
0000: 00000cc4 e0000008

Thanks for you consideration

Regards
Jason King
Network Administrator
jeking@(nospam)johndee.com.au

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Jason,

The W2K help file indicates that a record "should" be tombstoned on the "original
owner WINS server". The GUI is a bit confusing since it seems to suggest that
tombstoning on a non-owner WINS server will allow the deletion to be replicated to
other servers.

Tombstone a record on an original owner WINS server and then force replication. The record
should be removed properly. Test this as this should resolve the issue.

Hope this helps,
Gary
--------------------
'--'From: "Jason" <[email protected]>
'--'Sender: "Jason" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: WINS - Unable to remove Tombstoned entries
'--'Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 00:09:27 -0700
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'
'--'G'day
'--'
[...]
'--'Data:
'--'0000: 00000cc4 e0000008
'--'
'--'
'--'Thanks for you consideration
'--'
'--'Regards
'--'Jason King
'--'Network Administrator
'--'jeking@(nospam)johndee.com.au
'--'

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Top