I am in desperate need of help. I ugraded a NT4 PDC to
W2K and installed AD on it. The upgrade went perfectly,
with the exception of the NIC's. After I reinstalled the
Intel software the problem was fixed. However, now it
appears that WINS stops functioning every couple of
hours. It shows WINS to be running in the Services
Manager, but when I try to connect to it using WINS
Manager it says "Cannot find the WINS Server". My only
recourse has been to uninstall and reinstall WINS.
Everything works fine for a few hours and then the same
problem occurs. I've done this 3 times now and I'm at my
wits end with this....does anyone have a suggestion???????

G

Sounds like your WINS tables are being updated from another WINS server. This can happen when you change out a NIC as the MAC BIA address is now different. Additionally, you could also have a time mismatch which can also create this type of corruption. Make sure your system time zone, clock and date settings are correct as well as any other WINS server. Lastly you could try flushing the table and force out a fresh one (best to do this off hours don't forget all the locations this table will need to be updated and the ramifactions of being without WINS until it has refreshed all of the locations). One answer here is to get off of WINS if you can or at least minimize the number of server systems which require it. You can also use DNS lookups assuming you have DNS running and the server systems are listed {with the exact same names as either a A or CNAME record}. But you will need to get the client systems to use DNS for SMB (NETBIOS) server lookups.

Ask a Question