winres.exe and compact framework

Ryan

I tried to use "Winres.exe" to open a resource file for a form
developed in Compact Framework, but with no luck. The error message
is like:

Invalid ResX input. Could not find valid
"resheader" tags for the ResX reader & writer type
names.

The development tool is VS .NET 2003, and the target device is Pocket
PC.

Does someone know if winres.exe supports CompactFramework resource
files?

Thanks a lot.

Benjamin Wulfe

Have you tried to run winres on a .resource file compiled by cfresgen.exe?
Do not run winres on .resx files as they are in a different format
specifically for use by the compact framework designer.

-Ben

| From: (e-mail address removed) (Ryan)
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| Subject: winres.exe and compact framework
| Date: 20 Oct 2003 11:51:59 -0700
|
| I tried to use "Winres.exe" to open a resource file for a form
| developed in Compact Framework, but with no luck. The error message
| is like:
|
| Invalid ResX input. Could not find valid
| "resheader" tags for the ResX reader & writer type
| names.
|
| The development tool is VS .NET 2003, and the target device is Pocket
| PC.
|
| Does someone know if winres.exe supports CompactFramework resource
| files?
|
| Thanks a lot.

Ryan

Thank you for your response.

I did try a .resources file after reading your message. It does not
work either; but the error message is different this time:

"Object type cannot be converted to target type"

To make sure that it is not some possible sluggish code in my project
that prevents "winres" from working, I created a new Smart Device
Windows application in VS.NET 2003, and set the target platform to
PocketPC. This is what I did and saw step by step:

1. I added one control (a label) to the default form, Form1, and set
the form attribute of "localize" to "true".

2. I saved the project.

3. Then I tried to open the default resource file Form1.resx with
"winres", and got the same error message as last time: "Invalid resX
input. Cannot find valid 'resheader' tags for resX reader & writer
type names".

4. I then run "cfresgen" utility to generate a new resource file
"Form1.resources" out of file "Form1.resx". When I tried to use
"winres" to open the newly generated "Form1.resources", I got a new
error "Object type cannot be converted to target type".

As a test, I also created a regular windows application, and then used
"winres" to open a default resource file "Form1.resx". It worked fine.

Looks like "winres" does not recognize the format of the resource file
created for Compact Framework. Is there something we can do to make
it work?

Sincerely,
Ryan