Windows XP's Autorun for Flash Drives... Vanished!

Michael XpressMusic

Hi...
Can I ask a little help?
Usually an autorun window appears each time I insert any removable drive: my
flash drive, my phone, my mp3 player, camera, etc.
It gives us a choice on 'what to do with the drive':
- Open in Windows Explorer
- Open media files with Windows Media Player
- Open these files with these programs, and so on...
- Exit

Now that window never showed up!
To access my flash drive's contents, I have to manually open it from "My
Computer"...
Does anyone have the solution?
Thanks a lot!

liu

I know you can turn it off using TweakUI (My Computer > Autoplay >
Drives). It should allow you to turn it on too. Do a search and you
should be able to find it.

VanguardLH

Usually an autorun window appears each time I insert any removable
drive: my flash drive, my phone, my mp3 player, camera, etc. It gives
us a choice on 'what to do with the drive': - Open in Windows
Explorer - Open media files with Windows Media Player - Open these
files with these programs, and so on... - Exit

Now that window never showed up! To access my flash drive's contents,
I have to manually open it from "My Computer"... Does anyone have the
solution? Thanks a lot!

Microsoft's KB article 136214

It shows the meaning of the bits in the NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry
key. The default values are 0x91 (1001001) and 0x95 (10010101) See:

Microsoft's KB article 895108

which says:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 0x95
Microsoft Windows XP 0x91
Microsoft Windows 2000 0x95

In Windows XP, the bit to disable removable volumes is not set (to be
disabled). A value of 0x95 sets the removable volume bit to 1 (which
disables those devices from auto-running). I would think this would
include other removable drive types, like USB drives. So try using
0x91. You could also use the TweakUI powertoy to check which drives
have autoplay enabled for them (under My Computer -> AutoPlay -> Types,
disable for removable drives). However, the per-user registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2

holds cached information about every removable device, like a memory
stick, that Windows has seen before, and that key overrides the
NoDriveTypeAutoRun setting. So if you insert a removable volume that
Windows already knows about, the cached value gets used instead of the
NoDriveTypeAutoRun setting. The class IDs or drive letters under the
MountPoints2 key will have an autorun or autoplay subkey. MountPoints2
is a dynamic system registry key that does not permit users to write to
it, even admins, as it is only accessed by the system account to update
the cached information. While you cannot edit the subkeys and their
values, you can delete this registry key to get it regenerated as you
use Windows thereafter. As with anything for the registry, save a
backup .reg file of the folder or key that you intend to modify or
delete. Under that registry folder is the subfolder of:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\CPC\Volume

Go read
http://help.wugnet.com/windows/Microsoft-Shared-Folder-Unknown-Registry-Key-ftopict540563.html
for some info on how that key is used. However, by deleting the parent
MountPoints2 folder, you get rid of the unique IDs for each removable
device that has been installed before and whether they use
AutoRun/AutoPlay. Note that there are multiple MountPoints2 keys in
the registry (some being duplicates of each because there are really
only 2 real hives in the registry and the other pseudo-hives are
collations of those two real hives).

Read
http://blogs.technet.com/steriley/archive/2007/10/30/more-on-autorun.aspx.
See the linked article titled "Autorun: good for you?". You might just
want to disable auto-play on all drives.

ju.c

Installing SP3 fixed all my Autoplay/Autorun problems that all other
fixes could not.

ju.c

"Michael XpressMusic" <Michael (e-mail address removed)>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...