Windows Xp Professional & SATA SLOWNESS

G

I have an Epox 8RDA3+ MB with the onboard Silicon Image Sil3112 SATA RAID Controller. I installed a Seagate Barracuda Serial ATA V SATA (80 Gig). It is my only drive, so there is no RAID. It is VERY slow at loading programs. I went to the www.siimage.com site and download the newest driver and it helped a little but it still is much slower than it should be. I used HD Tach v2.70 to test the drive and here are the numbers: Read Speed: MAX: 44.8 MB/s Min: 28.9 MB/s AVG: 39.5 MB/s. Is it just me or is that slow for a SATA 150 Drive? I am thinking of trying a seperate Promise SATA150 TX2plus Controller Card to see if it will make a difference. Can anyone figure out what may be the problem with the onboard SATA Controller

My System (Home Built

Epox 8RDA3+ M
Athlon XP 2500 CP
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Video Car
Seagate Barracuda Serial ATA V SATA (80 Gig
GeIL Ultra Platinum PC3500 433MHz DDR (256MB x 2

G

Try spliting your HD into 2 or three, and compare the difference. The reason why, is because in boot up when the drive is in whole partition means 80 gig 1 partition there is a posibility that some files or maybe the pagefile are located at the bottom of the drive, thats why the system will going to scan the whole drive just to access it. So when you split your drive into 2 or three you can control the location of the system file and pagefile to the first 20 gig of your HD.

Hope this will solve your problem.

G

GwD

Check out this article:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/07/18/28TCsatadrives_1.html
I don't think its your disk controller its your disk drive.
Note the part at the bottom:

"But if you plan to support applications where quick response time is
critical, watch your step. In fact, with the notable exception of Western
Digital's WD Raptor, the drives in this review offer unexciting server
performance."

I have the Western Digital Raptor 74gig. and it is really fast. Do some
research on the difference between the specs of the Seagate Barracuda and
the Western Digital Raptor. I think you will then see where the problem is.

DarkOne said:
I have an Epox 8RDA3+ MB with the onboard Silicon Image Sil3112 SATA RAID
Controller. I installed a Seagate Barracuda Serial ATA V SATA (80 Gig). It
is my only drive, so there is no RAID. It is VERY slow at loading programs.
I went to the www.siimage.com site and download the newest driver and it
helped a little but it still is much slower than it should be. I used HD
Tach v2.70 to test the drive and here are the numbers: Read Speed: MAX:
44.8 MB/s Min: 28.9 MB/s AVG: 39.5 MB/s. Is it just me or is that slow
for a SATA 150 Drive? I am thinking of trying a seperate Promise SATA150
TX2plus Controller Card to see if it will make a difference. Can anyone
figure out what may be the problem with the onboard SATA Controller?

G

Jason

I forgot to say that this drive is partitioned: C: 10 gigs with WinXP E: 35 gigs F: 35 gigs. Thanks for the tip though

D

----- jason wrote: ----

Try spliting your HD into 2 or three, and compare the difference. The reason why, is because in boot up when the drive is in whole partition means 80 gig 1 partition there is a posibility that some files or maybe the pagefile are located at the bottom of the drive, thats why the system will going to scan the whole drive just to access it. So when you split your drive into 2 or three you can control the location of the system file and pagefile to the first 20 gig of your HD.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Ask a Question