Windows XP Firewall problem

bagwash

From Control Panel/Windows Security Center and /Windows Firewall I get
"Windows Firewall cannot be displayed because the associated service is not
running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection
Sharing (ICS) service?". I click Yes and get "Windows cannot start the
Windows Firewall". (This happens after disabling ZoneAlarm, from which I
wish to switch.)
Suggestions gratefully received.

Paul Johnson

bagwash said:
From Control Panel/Windows Security Center and /Windows Firewall I get
"Windows Firewall cannot be displayed because the associated service is
not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection
Sharing (ICS) service?". I click Yes and get "Windows cannot start the
Windows Firewall". (This happens after disabling ZoneAlarm, from which I
wish to switch.)

Have you tried uninstalling ZoneAlarm before trying to enable Windows
Firewall? (If you're paranoid, unplug your network connection while you do
this).

bagwash

I appear to have pressed the wrong key and turned this correspondence into a
private one rather than posting it here, which was the intention. For the
benefit of anyone else following the thread, I now post it.